1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Size of choke shooting steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Well, goose season is here and I have a question. When shooting hevi steel shot is it a bad idea to use a full choke? This probably has been discussed but I missed it .Thanks

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Before offering any advice, I have a couple of questions:

1 - Shooting over decoys or pass shooting?

2 - Distance required? 25 yds, 35 yds, 45 yds?

3 - What size Hevi-Steel? 2-3/4", 3" or 3-1/2"?

* Shooting over decoys you probably should use a IC choke

** Longer distance and/or pass shooting, Mod or IM.

The best thing to do is to pattern your gun with different loads, chokes and yardages so as to properly ascertain which will work best for you in your current situation.

I personally think any steel shot should be outlawed, but that's another story for another time.

Good luck.

Curt

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It is safe to use Bismuth shot in a gun with a Full choke because it is soft. HeviShot is not soft. I use Browning IM which is only .020 constriction really a Modified and it works very well for non toxic shot.

4. checker

checker Member

Can you use steel shot with Briley Choke tubes? or any choke tube?

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Not all choke tubes are rated for steel. Some Browning and Remington tubes are specifically marked "Not for Steel Shot." Best bet is to check with the manufacturer. With steel shot, you generally use at least one size more open choke because of steel's tendency to hold tight patterns. It does not deform on firing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.