1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Six Man Squads Dangerous???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

It's a 5 man game.........5 is slow enough.

2. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Ever shoot protectors,I have shot a clubs that shoot 8 team protectors,but if you are not comfortable shoting like that then I wouldnt do it either,especialy for practice if you are the odd man standing between posts,i belive it gives you fals target flight patterns,and bad placement of your weaopn.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

There are many games played where people are in close proximity to each other.Protection or buddy shoots come to mind.

I've shot on 6 man squads where we didn't want to leave the odd man out. If proper gun safety is observed by all involved there should be no problem.

If, on the other hand, it makes YOU uncomfortable than don't participate. It's a choice.

Jerry

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

NO problem. Observe proper muzzle direction. Birds in the air = dollars for the club.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Aren't six man squads normal in International Trap? I don't remember hearing any safety issues there.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Annie Oakleys or Custers or Killers all the same. I have shot with as many as 51 no prob

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

You evidently have never shot protection/buddy or annines. IF you know how to properly handle your firearm and the person next to you the same, I don't see any problem!

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

In the context of ATA shooting...shooting 5 shots per station, with 6 guys in a line and everybody moving at the same time....if you want it to work OK, you need to clarify where that 6th guy is going to stand. My opinion, the original 5 shooters get to stand on the concrete stations, and the guy who signed on late has to accept standing on the grass on every rotation. If everybody's OK with it, no problem.

Yes, International has a long history of shooting 6 on a squad, but that's only shooting one target per station before moving, not 5. Everybody doesn't move at the same time like in ATA. It's a lot of activity and moving around, but if the shooters are educated about how it works, then it works just fine. The "sixth" shooter stands with his gun broken open, _behind_ (not to the side of) the person who is shooting. As soon as the shooter shoots, he breaks his gun open, steps off the station, and the "sixth man" fills in his spot on the station. The guy who just shot steps behind and to the right, and takes his position behind the guy on the next station, who is getting ready to shoot, and the cycle repeats. What will really blow a lot of ATA shooters' minds, is that the guy standing behind, was not required to have his gun unloaded, only broken open (ie, it's a two shot game, and if he only fired one shot on his previous station, he could leave the second shell in the chamber, and simply break his gun while waiting). The only place you're allowed to have the gun closed is on the shooting station, of course, and the guy moving from station 5 to 1 must empty his gun before moving. I'm sure this will draw squeals of protest from some ATA shooters who have never seen it, but it's true, and that's how it was done for many, many years. Like many things they do in Europe, it looks totally foreign to us, but works just fine in the hands of people who understand it. (My knowledge may be dated...the International rules may have changed for all I know).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.