1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#### SINUS SURGERY ####

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mooneymissle, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooneymissle

mooneymissle Member

Looking for input, experience(s), recommendations, etc. from people who have had any kind of sinus surgery. Diagnosed with a "cyst" (one Dr. called it a bad infection), in the sinus cavity under my left eye. Had the original CT scan because of headaches---not a headache person. After a month of antibiotics, use of steroid nasal spray and salve for an inflamation in left nostril, a 2nd CT scan showed "improvement", but still had symptoms. Went for a 2nd opinion, and heard much the same thing---surgery would be a "quality of life improvement."---My decision! I decided to have the surgery, but to wait until after hunting season. At my age one never knows how many hunting seasons are left. THOUGHTS?

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

My wife had it done to her about 10 years ago and it help her. The down side is you will not want to leave the house for about 3 or 4 week after you had it done. Why I am saying this is you will look like you been in a bad fight and you lost .......... your going to turn all black and blue. Good luck!

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law had the same thing done with the same results as Rick's wife. He claims it was worth every bruise he had and then some.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Had a deviated septum fixed and it helped a great deal ..before the surgery I could barely breathe through the right side of my nose because it was broken once too(damn jealous husbands ; ( ) Painful but I'd do it again which I can't say about a lot of other surgeries I've had

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

I had two surgeries about 20 years ago and got little relief. Two years ago my wife made an appointment for me with a surgeon she thought was the best in this area.. She works in the university hospital ENT clinic.so knew several surgeons. He tried antibiotics first. No help there so I had yet another surgery. Much better results this time and no sinus infections since the surgery.. I can breathe much better although anyone who has sinus trouble will always have it. The surgeon told my wife the infection he removed was much worse than he had thought it would be. You will be fairly miserable until the packing is removed and the swelling goes down but all worth it if it helps. My Dr removed the packing three days after surgery but some will leave it in place for a week. Good luck. I had no bruising and doubt most people would.

6. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

I'm with Calvin. I had it done last year on a deviated septum and the dr. said it was the worst he had seen without having an injury to my nose. It had my left sinus 100% blocked. I was down for about 5 days but didn't have any bruising or anything like that. Just some discomfort for a few days and it has been well worth it~~

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had 4 - had problems including fractured bone from Athletics- deviated septum- blocked drainage- headaches

Each time I got better- still have problems but better each time

The new "recover" uses a different packing techique- recovery is much much quicker than it was even a few years ago

Good luck- of course you could have a bad outcome as you can with any surgery

Gene

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I have a history of sinus related problems and allergies.

Over the years I have had three nasal sinus surgeries to remove polyps, and clear infections that were not responding to medications.

My surgeon is very good, but could never insure a complete cure due to the severity of the infections, and the amount of polyps present.

After the last surgery, he had me start on a nasal spray called Asteline or sometimes called Astelastine, and it has helped me stay free of polyps for the last 15 years or so.

I had injections for 5 years to help the allergies, and they have pretty well cleared up, also.

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.