1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sinking feeling when you open gun case & NO gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WilliamMR, Aug 31, 2013.

1. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

So I'm out to dinner last night with the wife, her brother and his wife, and a few friends. We were at the local Elks for a fish fry. Much to our surprise the brother in law gets up after dinner and says he is going shooting (X-Line). His wife is a little perturbed, so we offer to take her home.

Ten minutes later, Larry (might be his real name) comes back in, sits down next to me. He whispers in my ear, "the 90T is not in the case". He says he never puts it in another case. Plus he just shot it Wednesday night.

There is more, but I see by the clock I have to get to the club. Will have to finish this later. I'm sure he is not the first to experience this, but you should have seen the look on his face.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have opened my gun case and found it empty. Called the club on the phone and picked up my gun on the next day. I had left it in the gun rack.

I have also opened my case and found a similar but different gun in it. I knew the owner, called him and we exchanged guns the next week. He was very sorry and apologized. He had put my gun into his case and left the club.

I ran the shoot that night. When the shoot was over and I was the only one remaining at the club, I did not see my gun in the rack. Instead, I saw a similar 870 TC. I put the 870 TC into my gun case. I knew the owner ans assumed that he had mistakenly taken my gun even though I had my name on it.

In each case, it was a bad feeling.

Ed Ward

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

State skeet shoot about 6 or 7 years ago give or take at the Great Falls Sun River club one of the guys from the Missoula club pulls up and jumps out of the car to shoot a warm up round - no gun in case. A few frantic phone calls home and he gets someone to run out to the Missoula club and look around. Sure enough his 682 was sitting in the gunrack on the skeet field where he'd left it the night before.

It had rained all night and the bbls were full of water. When it got to Great Falls we had to pull it all apart, dry out the action & re-lube it.

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Maybe the guys wife happens to know where it is.

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Bet someone took quick trip to Wednesday club.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I never did it but I saw a new guy shooting as a guest with a well used, slightly rusty 870. My friend, who is a regular shoots a mint 870 tc. When it was time to go home, we could not find my friends TC. We talked to everyone and no one claimed the old, rusty 870. Fear and panic set is as no one knew the other guys last name or how to get in touch with him.

The good part of the story, the guest came back a month or so later and when he opened his case, he commented that "this does not look like my shotgun". The TC was in his case in the back of the guys truck cap all that time.

7. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

These story's are tragically funny. Good to know most shooters are honest, whereby guns left on the rack all night and still there the next day. Not quite as bad as forgetting the baby in the car and leaving it in the back seat when going in a bar for an all-day binge.

I wonder how many guns are stolen at big shooting events?

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Not quite the same deal but 20 years ago I was shooting a BT-99 I'd bought for my son and after doing the books at the club on a Wednesday evening I went to pick up my gun from the rack and the BT-99 there was beat all to rat$hit....in a panic I tried to track down the owner, who was from out of town and finally found a number for him, found him and made the exchange before he headed home to Calgary.

Ron Burr

9. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

The story I just posted had a happy ending. After dinner, some of our friends who were at the table, and had a key to the club house, did drive back to the "Wednesday" club. They found it in the rack in the club house. When the staff was cleaning up Wednesday night they found the gun in a rack outside. Not knowing who it belonged to, they put it in the club house. But Larry did have a nice rest of the evening with his wife.

Bill Radwan

10. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Over the years, I've "stolen" Leo's gun not once, not twice, but three times. Once during the grand in Vandalia, I took for for the mall early one morning and when I got to mall, saw his gun case in the back,I hi-tailed it back to the grounds before Leo even knew it was missing. The second time has become a too often told story...I got upset one day (also during the Grand at Vandalia)and took off in our van. This was August and we had just got married in May. Leo thought someone had stolen the van and since his guns were in there, called the police. The Swat team eventually found me, the van and his guns. The most recent time was last year at the Grand in Sparta. Leo had been in shoot-offs until late so he put his gun i the van and it stayed there overnight. Early the next morning I had to take our dog to a vet in St. Louis. I took the dog, the van and his DT-10. He called me when they started calling the handicap event. I was 2 hours away. He borrowed a new DT-11 off the wall of the Beretta building and won the event with it, (didn't have time for any practice).
    On all these occasions, the "theft" was an accident, and I can tell you that sick feeling you get when you find your gun case empty is the same one I felt when I realized I had Leo's gun.

11. SBray

SBray Active Member

I had the terrible feeling of finding an empty gun case in the back of my vehicle when I got home. I left my P gun at the club in the gun rack. I called out to the club and returned ASAP. We are so lucky to have so many honest people in this sport. The gun had been taken up to the club house. I retrieved it, as well as some well deserved teasing.

Steve

12. zoot

zoot Member

I got to a trap club not once but twice an hour or so from home, opened the case and it had a trigger lock on it because i didn't have a safe then and no key for the lock.:( But someone at the club was able to pick the lock both times.
    Zoot

13. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I got to a practice one time, and found I had left the forearm of my new Cynergy on the bench after cleaning the gun completely. By the time I got home, the practice was nearly finished, so I never got any practice in that week.

Search tags for this page

sinking gun case