1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sink problem back to hot water heater

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Wife wants new kitchen faucet.

Hot water valve under sink is frozen and there's no other valve all the way back to the hot water heater.

If I turn off the cold water inlet into the hot water heater, is that enough to then be able to take remove the valve in the kitchen for replacement?

Thanks - Joe

2. joe kuhn

Thanks. I'm on it.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno, but we are getting new Moen faucet and have no shut off valves under sink yet and plan to shut off cold water main valve to house and then pretend to start clothes washer to drain a little hot water into tub. You might be able to free the stuck (frozen ??) hot water shut off valve under the sink by loosening the nut on the shut off handle. You probably guessed that I'm definitely Not a plumber.

4. joe kuhn

Richard's got it. I stopped the dripping at the hot water pipe by going down to the basement and opening the hot water faucet on the dura tub. Now the dripping won't drive me crazy.

Man, those wing nut things that hold the faucet to the sink from underneath are a bear to get loose. I'm off to the hardware store for some help. Maybe there's a wrench for that. Hope it's not glued.

Got the hot water valve off. Broke it in the process.

Noticed the new faucet has water pipes in the middle and old faucet has them out to the sides further. Oh boy, what have I gotten into here...

You gotta be a pygmy to work under that damn sink.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The easy way is to have supply valve for hot and cold right under the sink, and flex lines going up.

then when you put in a new faucet, you just put the flex lines on and poke it down.

You need a basin wrench, (flex head grippy thing) to tighten the nuts. it's fairly cheap.

HM

6. joe kuhn

Flex lines and a basin wrench. I'm off to the store...

7. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Put on your safety goggles and drill those nuts on one side and pop em off with a screw driver,,don't buy a basin wrench if you don't have to,,,

8. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

The new nuts will be plastic wing nuts, hand tight and then a little umpph,,

Sorry, only been doing this for 42 years,,,LOL

9. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

Rule of thumb for time required to do anything the first time you try a job. Make a best estimate, multiply times 2 then add 40%.
    J Sharp

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, our kitchen sink drain started to leak. Leak was traced to a corroded galvanized wye pipe connection.

Simple, says I. Break loose the wye, take to Home Depot, get new parts, right back in business. Get home, try to remove remaining galvanized fitting to the wall, so I can easily work on parts. Not only was original part corroded, the old wye broke while trying to loosen old galvanized parts (nipples, ells, etc.).

Yep. Everything corroded back to wall. Galvanized pipe threads broken.

Great! I know I'm in over my head.

Call plumber. He comes out the next day. Replaced pipe from the sink to the wall, and down to the basement main drain connection, with new PVC, including new sink drain parts.

Cost - $125, including parts.

That "whishing" sound you hear? Me dodging a bullet.

Best,
    Dennis

11. joe kuhn

Done, no solder needed (pretty funny Tron). Used plumbers puddy on one joint. Rest are all rubber sealed. Looks great. No leaks. Mrs due home within the hour. Hardware guy got me out of there in 5 minutes. Flex lines are awesome. Basin wrench worked for one. Hammer claw worked for other. New ones tightened with pliers after hand tightening. Daughter even helped hold faucet while I was underneath tightening.

Thanks guys.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.