1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Singles scores up and down

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Man, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I find myself shooting very inconsistent singles scores, one hundred I can go out and break a 99 or something in that area and on the next hundred I can find myself breaking a 95 or lower. I don’t know if it matters but I have been shooting an IM choke, and most of the targets are crushed into a black cloud, but I still manage to let a few slip by. Any pointers?

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Well, I would not consider 99 to 95 overly inconsistent. Four birds is probably your concentration level that day.

99 to 85 would be inconsistent and you probably have some technical issues with stance, gun fit, etc to address..

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Keep a journal. Since targets come out at random angles and you may get more of your "tough targets" from one trap to another. That can make the difference between missing 4-5 more targets on one trap and going straight on another. Keep track of those "tough targets."

Some instructors would tell you that you should not focus on your missed targets but I think that you need to track which targets you have the most trouble with. Once you identify your problem then you can practice on that target or targets and eliminate them as problems.

Good luck.

4. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Thanks Barry, I have an idea on what my problem targets are, left angles on one and two, I have trouble with them on singles and handicap, I had to start shooting my left hand target first all the way across on my doubles to hit them.

5. Barry C. Roach

Where do you're eyes focus prior to calling for the target?

6. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

My hold point is on the left hand corner of the house, my eyes are focused down the barrel of the gun at the top of the house.

7. Barry C. Roach

Get them out above the house. Move your gun about a foot inside the corner of the house. Focus your eyes ( assuming you are a two eyed shooter ) above the trap and at all of the area that the target can possibly emerge from while standing on post one. It's not going any further right than a straight-a-way so you can concentrate on only where the target can possibly be. This will keep you from being surprised and allow you to see the target clearly.

This works good for post 5 too. If you're a one eyed shooter I can't help you.

8. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I am a one eye shooter, but thanks for the help guys. Thats the reason I have always held down on the top of the house to help me pick up the targets faster, and I am a quick shooter.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Browning Man- You have copied my style of shooting without permission. I concentrate a lot on two of the four rounds, then I seem to shoot from habit on one field and just shoot on one field. This style allows me to run 50-60 birds and then miss two on one post and then drop a couple on the last field. It also gives me some pleasant surprises when I smoke a target and have no idea how I even hit the thing.

I now insist that you now stop using my style of shooting and go back to working on breaking the next target.

Pat Ireland

10. Jason B

Jason B Member

I must confess I've evidently copied Pat's style of shooting 16's as well. Concentration is a beautiful thing that can be easily taken for granted. Browning Man the best way to fix your inconsistent 16 yard scores is to only sign up for the events you're going to break 99's and skip the ones you're going to break 95's. If you find out how to predetermine this please let me know your secrets and I'll give you a cut of the entries fees I save but I'm keeping the trophies and payouts for myself.

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I am a one-eyed shooter and struggle to some extent with inconsistency as well. Last weekend, I shot a 98 followed by an 88. When I was missing birds, I actually thought someone had messed with my gun (taken out the choke tubes, bent the barrel, etc).

On my last round of 25, I made an effort to really FOCUS on the target...to actually look for and see the rings, and I broke all 25 clays...of course it was too late then.

I have been shooting for about a year and a half. This may be normal at this stage. I don't know. I do know that it is very frustrating.

bluedsteel

12. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

SC3-Bryce,I am a lefty.straightaways on post 1 are killing me.I hold about 6 inches in from the corner,about a foot above the house.any suggestions? Thanks,Todd.

13. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

Thanks Bryce.going to the club tonight to try different things you mentioned.Todd.

14. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Well I shot at my local club last night and did good the first round (shooting my same way), then it went down hill from there. Pat and Jason help me break our bad habit, lol, I am not focusing enough, that’s the reasons I am missing the straightaway targets or the floaters. But I still can’t figure out why I am having trouble from one and two left hand angle targets, its just doesn’t feel covetable to me. Like bluedsteel said it is frustrating, I’ve had some presser on my shooting this year trying to keep my averages up seeing that I’m trying to make the Kentucky State junior team. Maybe I am just thinking about that too much, and need to get back to the basics and start having fun, I do plan on taking a little break for a month to see if that will help, because here for the last week or two I didn’t care if I shot or not, that’s probably one reason there. Thanks for your replies guys it has been very helpful and I greatly appreciate it.
    PS: Jason I have a little Genie pasted down from the generations that tell me how I’m going to do on the next round of shooting, I just never lesson and shoot anyway, lol.

15. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

Browning Man
    I am a fairly new shooter, having taken up the sport a little over a year ago.I am a two eye shooter but my left eye vision is 20/200 as a result of a congenital defect. Ergo-----I can't see squat with my left eye. I've found that what works for me is to give my right eye the maximum opportunity to acquire the target as it emerges from the house. I hold a very high gun, at about eye level. After mounting the gun and checking my sight picture, I then focus on a distant feature in the far background. The eye will see virtually everything in the field of view (this is a basic premise of defensive driving, the eye will see the nearer object if you are looking farther up the road all the time) I have found that, for me, it is easier to bring the hard focus in to the bird than it is to push it out. My hold point is always to the left of the center of the house from every post, although the degree varies as I move down the line. This to give my right eye the optimum ability to acquire the bird.Once I see the bird, I then swing right or left as necessary to track the bird and fire.The high hold point also minimizes the amount of gun movement to the target. This has worked well for me as I have improved my singles average by 10 birds since adopting this strategy.I am still refining and experimenting with my hold point etc. in the hope of further improvement. Best of luck to you. Break 'em all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dtl scores up and down