1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Singles number of classes question.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by primed, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the recommended classification for singles. When you go from three to four classes each class gets smaller in terms of shooters average. When you go to 5 classes each class gets a little smaller. When you go to six classes D class gets mush larger. Guidlines call for below 91% average in D with three classes, below 89% in D if four classes and below 88% in D if five classes. The more classes the smaller each becomes; I see the logic. But when you go to six classes the average percentage for D is less than 90%. When you go from five classes to six the average for B class goes from 91 - 94% to 93.25-94.75% so that class narrows from a 3% point spread to 1 1/2%.

I'm not bitching, I just don't follow the logic. Just curious about why it is as it is?

Thanks

Bob

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

Logic in the ATA- you've got to be kidding.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

6 Classes are used at the Grand American and Satellite Grands and some of the ATA Zone Shoots and only a few of the larger State Shoots. The participation at these big prestige shoots is a whole different cross section of shooters than your typical weekend club shoot. We find that close to 50% of the shooters entered at the Western Zone Shoot in Calgary are in Class AA or Class A with one or two shooters in AAA. We find very few shooters in Class D probably because of their attitude that they haven't got a hope to win anything and the extra fees for the ATA trophies.

4. Harold

Harold TS Member

As Mike noted, there would not be enough D shooters to make a decent sized class at the larger shoots, and that is why the average cutoff is higher. Of course, this could be self-perpetuating as the low average shooters have much less chance of winning when they are classed with much better shooters.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Classification ranges for singles and doubles at larger shoots with 6 classes was initially based on the historic attendance at these shoots. The CHC simply looked at who was attending these shoots and came up with a recommendation that would divide them into groups with approximately equal numbers.

It is true that more committed shooters are most likely to travel to Florida for 7-10 days in January for the Dixie Grand. And, it is true that these committed shooters tend to be shooters near the high end of their classes.

Pat Ireland

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

I didn't realize the demographics change that much at the larger shoots. But if they do, I can follow that logic. We've always gone to the Grand, etc, regardless of class. Always considered it entertainment, not an investment. I guess they know more than we do...LOL

Thanks again.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.