1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Singles load with Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I acquired 12 # keg of Red Dot (metal can) and was wondering what anyone uses for singles load with 1 1/8oz of shot in an STS hull with Winchester primers, something around 1140-1150 f.p.s. 16.5 to 17 grains sound close? I bought this powder at such a good price I need to shoot it up. Usually use 16 grains Tightgroup with a DR TGT wad. Seems Neil liked Red Dot for singles. Scott

2. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

16.5 gr will get you 1090 fps @8900 psi with a Fig 8 wad or DRRF8

18 gr gets you 1145 fps @ 9500 psi.

From the Alliant reloading guide

Tim

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Scott, I've loaded 18 gr. RD for years. Rem. STS or GC hull. I used to use Rem. Fig 8's until DR was conceived about 30 miles from here. I also now load a lot of 1oz. loads with same amt. of powder and DR XL1. I think you'll be pleased with the RD for singles.

Good luck and good shooting

Steve Elliott

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Scott,

Go to Alliants website and use their reloading section. Plug 'n play load data. All the info you need.

Link Above

5. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Scott, 17.5 gr RD, WJ wad or replacement, w209 primer, STS or Nitro hull = 1145fps. Great singles load. Joe

6. Scott Johnson

C.E. I use tightgroup a lot, 16 grains 1145, 17 grains 1200 18 grains 1240 all with Remy hull, Winchester primer and DR TGT wad. 5 grains in a 45 acp and 200 cast bullet is good also. Thanks Guys. Scott

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Scott, I think you will be extremely unhappy in using Red Dot after usage of tight group for so long. But I am happy to say for you that I will be more than happy to relieve you of potential anxiety by purchasing keg at that good deal price plus $10.

8. Scott Johnson

Mr. Pheasantmaster,
    That is very sly and thought worthy of you, I can see you are not a pilgrim. :) Scott

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Hillbilly

10. Scott Johnson

I know another Hillbilly from Creston, I-o-way, never had shoes till he went to grade school, not sure on the dating cousins thing, afraid to ask. Scott

fcguth thanked this.
  11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Martin,

I thought Kansas was flat? Not so?

Rick in MT

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Rick, while we don't have them biggun sized hills you boys got, we ain't exactly flat neither.

Scott, no kissen the cuz's but for barefooten, we got stories.

13. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Martin,

Someday, the lord willing, I would like to hunt some whitetail in Kansas. I hear they are big and plentiful.

Say hi to the missus for me. Only met her once, just before you two hitched. Spring Grand in Tucson.

Rick in MT

14. Scott Johnson

Hells bells Rick we have big whiteys in Mondamtana, every year in our area a 170+ gets killed, have even had a few 190 to 205 gross killed around here. You gotta quit bending nails a while and hunt them. Scott

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Rick, let me know.

Scott, we let em grow up before we start shooten em down here...

16. Scott Johnson

Martin,
    Now I am getting the feeling you are full of a little Bollsh$t on this one, are you putting a little hill billy spin on these stories? I suppose your pheasants are as big as sage hens or turkeys also? Well since you started it, up here, its so dam cold, our pheasants feather up so well, that a load of #4 at 1300 will not penetrate, well it just pusheshes them over a little in the air, and they keep on flying. Have to use Dead Coyote load to kill them (T shot). You should come up here and shoot a few, Rick will provide the wine, I the land to hunt on and a house, and we can listen to stories all night after supper. Scott

17. Mark McLaughlin

Mark McLaughlin TS Member

Scott,
    17-18 grains and windjammer in a AA or remington hull and win. primer or replacement and smoke em.Red Dot has ground more clays than all the rest put togeather!Just ask some of the shooters that have been around a long time?
    Mark

18. Scott Johnson

Thanks Mark. Still loving the MX10. Scott

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Now Scott let me tell you a story bout some the ole roosties we have in this country. They're so tough from avoiding hawks, owls, coyotes, opossums and such that cold weather is a welcome relieffrom everyday grief they must eendure. As such, a close up hi of #4's just pushes them off their flight path a little. Right now they seem somewhat submissive but quite a few of us are growing more concerned every season about being out there in the grass with them by ourselves.

The whitetails are simply born in the 150 class unless they're runts!