1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Singles load perfect--what next?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Finally got my singles load & choke to be perfct for me-smoke ink, nothing left from the 16. Using STS 1 oz #81/2 @ 1185 with a.015 Briley choke in my Infinity.--Next quetion how far back can I use this load with the same choke, my 3 other chokes are .020,.025 & .030. I've smoked targets with the above combination from the 25.

Phil Berkowitz

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Check out the link above and then pattern your gun at the distance you break the targets.

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

Phil,

One option for you is to take Dennis' clinic. He could work with you and help you answer your questions. You have to fill out an application before you go and that could be one of your stated goals. Or you could just ask him your question via email or phone. I would try each of your chokes for a round at the distance in question. Sit down after each round and take notes or talk to someone who's watching. Then at the end of the day think about what happened in each round and make your pick. Change just the choke. Then work on the load... The nice thing about chokes is they are so easy to change. Let us know where you end up.

I've been shooting a .025 choke in my Mach One and will try a .015 after hearing of your results for 16. I've been opening up the constriction based on Dennis' recommendation.

Joe

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

FWIW...when I'm testing a new combination, load, choke, WHATEVER...I try not to make ANY decisions until I've fired AT LEAST 500 rds.(1000 is better) over several days and in a variety of conditions. When you're doing this kind of evaluation...KEEP A LOG.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Phil, shoot a lot more from the 25. Are you getting all smoke? Or are a lot of the breaks chippy? If chippy, try raising your POI about 3" and try again. You may have to fiddle with additional adjustments to POI. If that does the trick, you are good to go. If not, and you KNOW your POI is correct for you, you need more choke and/or more pellets.

Don't let this screw with your head. If it works, It's good. If it doesn't, it isn't. So if you are happy with breaks with that load and choke combination, and you are scoring well from the 25, why worry. As the weather gets colder, choke up if needed. Change when you have to, not just because you think you should, or someone told you you should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.