1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Singles Ave not Improving but Hdcp is?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blackfoot, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

My single average has not improved this year vs last year and seems stuck at 93.5 w/ 4000 targets shot in 2008.Yet,my handicap has improved w/ 4 punches this year(25.5yd) while maintaining a 90.2 average.

For some reason I find singles more diffacult than Hdcp and practise singles much more than Hdcp( Frank Little's opinion that you can't be a good hdcp shooter until your singles game is on)Yet,I am not improving!

Time for a lesson from Kiner or ? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

All shotgunning is a mental test in my opinion and trap singles especially show that's true in your case also. In close shots, singles, the angle is a tad sharper and lots of shooters just take for granted they are easy. Many things come into play, a smaller pattern size, more retained velocity at shorter distances etc. For handicaps your working with a bigger pattern spread because of distance. Frank Little was right then and now, learning to master close shots will translate to being a better handicap shooter also. Every time you call for a target, you have to truly want that target no matter the distance it's shot! Mastering the mental part is toughest of all but the top shooters have accomplished just that.

A clinic with Phil will bring about your abilities much quicker than learning on your own too! Hap

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always shot better from back, I think we get complacent on the 16's and lose concentration

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Most trap shooters are fools..They will spend a small fortune attempting to teach themselves the fine points of the game. If they played golf, they wouldn't hesitate to ask a pro for lessons..If they played tennis, the same is true. But Trapshooters, they know it all, and some of them really think they do. Bite the bullet..Take a few lessons and watch your averages rise. Just pay attention and you will be surprised what even an old dog can learn.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you shoot both with the same POI and choke? HMB

6. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

If a lesson is out of the question buy one of the fine video's out there like Phil Kiners watch them and learn a bit if that doesn't do the trick a class is worth every penny. I go back to the video to help get threw a slump when needed.

7. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks for your help! I shoot a K80 w/Mod choke w/1oz #8's for singles and 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 for hdcp w/ Imp mod choke. I add (2) 1/8" spacers to raise my comb when I switch over to Hcp.

Right now I feel singles are just a bitch for me shoot a good score but Hdcp seems easier for me and just can't seem to figure it out.I am much more mentally tired after shooting 100 singles @ shoots than Hdcp and are not easy for me.

I might need to head out to the high range country to visit Mr.Kiner and try to get some help while my eyes are still good.

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Blackfoot, you are adding 2 --l/8 in.spacers from the 25 yd. line. Is that one for each post or two? If it's 2 per post 1/4 in. I'd say your POA at 16 yds. may be a little low. Just a thought.

9. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Interesting point! I am adding (2) 1/8" spacers per post from 25yds.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Why not leave the spacers in and try it on the 16? I would rather my gun be set the way I like it on the back fence, then make mental adjustments on the 16. Works for me. I also enjoy Caps more than the 16. Hundreds are EXPECTED at the 16, but are a treat when shooting Caps.

1/4" at the comb can be up to 8" of POI difference at the bird. That is going from 80/20 to little more than 50/50. 50/50 trap guns seldom work well. Having to cover the target with the bead gives rise to cardinal sins like coming out of or stopping the gun.

If you have doubts where your gun is shooting, put it on paper at 13 yards using the Winston Technique. Having a visual picture of what is going on around the bead when you point it at the bird is a confidence builder.

You might try a TIGHT choke as a self diagnostic tool. When you are boiling the target, you are good. When chipping them with a good bead picture, you know you need to change the POI.

I use 40's in my Trap barrels for every game. They let me know really quick if I am losing focus. If I don't MICROWAVE them, I know I need to get my head out of the clouds and back on the bird.

11. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks Shooting Coach, what you are saying makes sense and I wil try your suggestions.I spent alot of time at the patterning board before the season started this year and it's time to start looking more closely at where my POI is again.I am going to add more spacer and start shooting w/ Improved Mod.

I will try this winter taking a class with Phil Kiner.

About 2months ago Kiner in Trap and Field talked about adding more spacer in the comb but shooters don't seem to have confidence to do that. His feeling is that most combs are set too low and that is what he sees when he has new students.

I have learned the most from watching the top shooters and when they are approached at the right time, they are very generous with their knowledge!

Thanks again Coach for your thoughts!

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Probably shooting too tight a choke at 16's.

Whiz

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Whiz

They don't MAKE a choke too tight for 16's. LOL

I shoot 40's in screw choked guns, and my fixed choke guns have at least a Full, and go to XXF. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Martian Death Ray". (snicker)

I shot a 300 straight on the 16 with my full choked Perazzi Bunker gun when I first got it, and a 100 last Sunday in failing light with my 40 point choke in the Browning Unsingle.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

S/C: One of my new P guns had a 0.042" choke restriction. Before I sent it in for choke work, I could sure ink-ball about 98x100. First time I shot it after I got it back I ran 100x100 at the next ATA shoot.

Words to all: SHOOT THOSE SUPER TIGHT CHOKES, or as some say, "Choke for Smoke." ;-)

WW

15. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

One thing to remember Trap is like Golf "You drive for the show and putt for the dough" 16's are show and Handi caps are dough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.