1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Single stage as a back up????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Longhorn, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Do any of you use a signle stage reloader to back up your main progressive unit? Over a period of time I have fouled up loads and thrown them in a box. I'm ready to reclaim the primers, powder and shot. What's the best way to reclaim. I did finally buy a shell cutter that works pretty well. Any suggestions for my dilemma?

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I keep a plastic Lee "Load-All" bolted to the bench next to my PW 900s. It makes a great tool for loading small batches and has a station that removes primers perfectly. Cost is minimal; there might even be one one eBay.

What's the best way to reclaim? Just cut the hulls open, dump the shot into one container, pull the wads and dump the powder into another container. Then remove the primers (use a tool made for the job, not a dowel and a hammer) and toss the junk. The wads should still be usable if they're not the reason the shells are fouled up.

Morgan

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you have a single stage press handy you can fix the foul up with the shell and finnish reloading it. Otherwise save what you can and reuse it. HMB

4. sammie

sammie TS Member

I have an old MEC 600 to work up new loads and to load small batches. I wouldn't be without one. sam

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

sammie- You have a great machine for working up new loads.

Pat Ireland

6. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Same as Sammie, 600jr. Good for short runs,steel hunting loads, and removing primers from an awww-s#@&*..............Roger

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Empty the components off of your progressive, empty the primer catcher and begin. Cut 'em all, pour out shot in on container, poweder into another, toss the wad into a box. When finished, take the primered half-hulls and start feeding them into the progressive. Take the wasted hull off after depriming and can it with the crimp ends you've already junked. Reclaim your primers from the catcher. It won't take long.

8. sammie

sammie TS Member

Pat, I thank you for your comment. I think it is so easy to use for weighing powder drops etc. What is your setup like??? I know you shoot a lot. sam

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sam- At this time I do not have a 600Jr to work up any new loads I might want. All of my reloading is done with a hydraulic PW 2000. Great machine, but it is difficult to load up a box of something new. If I want a new load, I am able to do something most others can't do.

I load up a couple of boxes on my PW with the powder hopper empty. I put in the powder by hand using a powder dropper and a scale. I then have the shells shot in a pressure gun. The shells are tested at -20, 70 and 120 degrees F in the pressure gun. Velocity is measured by an induction chronograph that costs over $10,000. I let a ballistic technician look at the patterns. I can also get similar information for several hundred different loads. If you wish to work up a good load for a 20mm cannon, I can help you. There is an advantage to living close to a major powder manufacturing plant.

Pat Ireland

10. sammie

sammie TS Member

Pat, that sounds like fun. How do the shells at -20º generaly compare to 70º ? sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.