1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

single or double barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by James.c, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James.c

James.c Member

Hey. im a young shooter who's been shooting for about 6 months. i have a citori but some of the guys at my club want me to shoot some of their guns some times. when im shooting there single barrels i find i break more targets. i've looked into getting a single barrel but need some opinions first. what makes a single easier to shoot or better to shoot than a o/u. recoil,weight,swing?

Jamie .C

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like a single barrel for singles and handicap. But, I strongly favor a double barrel for doubles.

Pat Ireland

3. James.c

James.c Member

Ya i find the double barrel better for shooting two birds to.but because im a new shooter im just going to focus on the singles and handicap for now so there's no need for the second barrel. i just was wondering if i should go through the trouble of selling my double or if i should just put aside its faults and use it

4. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

If you shoot other guns better than yours then perhaps yours does not fit you as well...and fit should really be your primary concern. I tried having two separate (different brand guns) but that did not work out for me. I could shoot the unsingel really well and move to the o/u without a problem. However, after a few 100s, going back from the o/e to the unsingle ruined my singles!

As a result, I prefer a combo set (the unsingle and the o/u have with adjustable ribs) to two separate guns even if they are the same brand model with different barrels.

5. James.c

James.c Member

i would love to be able to buy a combo but im only 14 years old so as you could imagine i dont have the largest budget. my friend at the club though told me i could use his grandsons perazzi mx3 combo as long as i would like. but i really am looking for a gun that i can call my own.

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There should be no tremendous benefit to a single barrel gun. Like the previous poster, I suspect there is some fit issue or POI issue with your Citori.

Do you have an adjustable comb on your current gun?

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I too suspect it's a fit or POI issue

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Many shooters use an O/U for singles as well,,,,seems like one is a very tall jovial fellow....:D

9. 7771

7771 Active Member

james, i am 14 i shoot a single on my beretta 682 i have tried a double on it and the weight is different and the way the swing is different for me as a kid.. if you have no rush and interest yet in doubles a single is good but my dad has a citori combo and he doesnt shoot the single at all he likes the weight of the double barrel but its all in the fit and how YOU like it because you have to shoot it.
    Best of luck,
    Tommy Ketchum

10. James.c

James.c Member

thanks everyone for the help. i think because i have no interest in shooting doubles right now that im going to get a single barrel.you've all been of great help.anymore comments or opinions are welcome

Jamie Calvert

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is common to shoot a new (different) gun better than what you have now. It is also common to see your scores go back down after you purchase the new "wonder gun".

First pattern your O/U to see if it is shooting where you want it to. What do you perceive as the "faults" of your present gun. What will a single barrel do better? Does your gun fit you? Does it need an adjustable comb and/or butt pad?

You are better off investing in a two day class with Harrison, Ross or Hoppe. Harrison is one of the best in the world and he shoots an O/U for singles. He has used the same gun for about 10 years.

You will have enough money left over to buy a lot of reloading supplies to shoot more targets. Lastly get a Terry Jordan wall chart and use it.

Unless you can articulate what the new gun will do better you are hoping to buy a higher score. And there is a very small chance that will happen.

BTW, the Citori is a good gun. Unless the POI is off (left or right by a lot), you will regret selling it. If it is a field model, you can look for a trap stock or have someone like Tron work up a solution for you.

Don Verna

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Jamie,

Do you know someone close to you who is a really good shooter that knows guns and how to set them up? If so, I'd start there before switching guns.

Do be discerning however as there are many who profess to know, but really don't. What state and region are you from?

Guy Babin

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

well,I'm a bit older also am new to the sport and I have a citori sporting clay special(bought it after mounting another citori) it does have an adjustable recoil pad though. When ever I get the bug to try or buy another gun the fella that go me into this sport insists,,learn your gun,,I do agree though if it isn't fitting right that definetly is a problem.If you change guns too soon,you may set yourself up for the"it's the guns fault syndrome" and always look for another gun that shoots better.As I've seen on this site many times already,it isn't the arrow,it's usually the Indian.Check LOP of these supposed better shooting guns compared to yours,and look for fit difference if any.

Doug H.

14. laura!

laura! Member

My oldest son shoots a double barrel citori and is an A class shooter who kicks our buts! That said, I'll now switch sides and say I learned on an MX3 and think it is an awesome beginner's gun. My youngest son now shoots that. He is also 14 and gaining on us fast!

I would say, and my older son agrees, as long as the gun fits you reasonably well, stay with it. You are still learning the basics of the sport and changing guns this early will only make things more complicated for you. Good luck!

15. James.c

James.c Member

my gun does have an ajustable recoil pad and comb. me and some of the guys at the club have tried many diffrent configurations of the stock and I've tried all of them for a little while but none seem to work. I've even shot only strait away's for a whole night to see where its shooting. I've patterned it but i still see my scores increasing with the mx3. i usually shoot around 21-22. but the first time i shot the mx3 i shot a 23. I've been shooting it for a while and seem to be doing this consistently. I'm from Ontario Canada and have many good shooters at my club including Terry Jordan. I've shot my Citori for about six months trying to get it to work but my scores stopped improving right around the 21-22 mark.

Jamie Calvert

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Talk to Terry if you haven't already.

Want and need are two different items. Before you spend make sure it really is the "fix".

An 1100, 870 and others are single guns that have won a many a shoot--Citori guns have as well.

I have very good friends who are constantly changing their gun's set up, trading, buying different ones, etc. Most of these friends don't win allot.

Good luck Jamie, remember the old cliche... Rome wasn't built in a day.

Guy Babin

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

As a 14 year old without a big budget, the most gun for the buck, in other words the most options for the dollar spent is what you want. Your O/U is already offering that. Unless you are small of stature so the weight is bothering you, there is no reason outside of gun fit or balance why your O/U shouldn't work well for you. You say you have no interest in doubles but that can change over night. Right now you have a gun that offers you maximum options. I would find someone who knows something about gun fit and see if there is some problem with the O/U that could be dealt with, leaving you with a gun that works for you and delivers maximum options for it's use.

18. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I'm with Wireguy - find someone who actually knows what they're doing to help you with the gunfit. You obviously have not met that person yet. Or since your gun is adjustable, go to shotgunreport.com and check out the DIY gunfitting articles - they do not lie. Bruce Buck DOES know what he is doing and you will too.

I would hang with the O/U. A 28"-30" O/U can shoot any game there is and you will never have to wish you had the "right" gun.

Charlie

19. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

A very wise trapshooter who has passed away now told me "Beware of the Man that shoots one gun for everything". Meaning if someone shoots singles, handicap, & doubles with the same gun then watch out because they usually know how to handle that gun.

I think this is shown as true with the number of people shooting combos these days.

I agree with some of the other posters your gun may not fit you, you may be better off getting it fitted to you and learning to shoot it for everything. Just my opinion.

Brent Huber

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jamie,

Terry Jordan is a wonderful resource to you. USE HIM!!! His 10 year ATA average is about 98. He has forgotten more than most of us on TS.com know.

95% of the game is mental. If you doubt your gun/loads/weather/background/etc you are done. That is why we address all the things we can, and get them out of our little pea brains.

If you have patterned your gun and it shoots straight that is a huge plus for you. If the load is throwing good patterns, another "issue" is behind you. If the gun fits, it will point naturally and not beat you up. Do you need/have prescription shooting glasses. These are things you must do with any gun you shoot.

Unfortunately, many of the people at your club will give you bad advice. They do it out of ignorance. If the Club class C champ tells you top move your butt plate one way and Terry tells you to leave it alone who are you going to listen to?

Talk to Terry about trying one his wall charts. You will be amazed at how bad your gun moves are, and how much you are flinching.

Most of us have advised a new gun will not be the answer you think it is. It is not what you wanted to hear. It takes a lot of work to get good at anything.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.