1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Single barrel youth trap gun on a $53 budget(Pics)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tumbleweed, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Some may think this belongs in the humor category but my 16 year old daughter and I started a little project. We are trying to test the theory that proper gun fit and knowing your POI and having a good mental picture of your shot placement is more important than having a big budget and pretty hardware.

I told her don't worry about what it looks like. Let's get it working the way we want and then we will make it look nice. Well, it won't look very nice on a $53.00 budget but I didn't tell her that.

Materials and Methods:

Gun - Single barrel Brazilian made hammer gun ***$50.00 at pawn shop***
    28" barrel (unknown choke) we haven't bothered to measure it yet,
    LOP 13 1/8 with kick eez pad,
    Slight left hand cast,
    Slight left hand toe out

Ammo - 3/4 oz of 8's and 15 gr. tightwad and Noble sport primer in an STS hull

Shooter - 16 year old lefty. About 5'2" and 101 lbs.

We started out by adjusting the LOP and then formed a new add-on comb out of a piece of free scrap wood from neighbors wood shop and we started with a drop at comb of about 7/8". I wanted this thing to shoot high and then we would center it and bring it down.

The first attempt on paper had us at about 11" high and 3" to the right at 13 yards. I liked the way the comb and the stock came up to her shoulder and cheek so we started adding some rib to bring the muzzle down. We started with 1/2" of rib under the bead and that got us to about 4" high at 13 yards. Now we're getting somewhere!

Next step was to fashion the finest 9/16" x 1/4" rib from a piece of red oak from Menards. $3.22. We are now hitting 3" high at 13 yards and just a couple inches to the right. Need to take a little bit off the inside of the comb and we will have it nailed.

Sorry I took the pictures with no glasses on the shooter. We were just practicing a few gun mounts while taking pictures.

If all goes well we might take it to the range on Tues. and shoot a few straight-aways and see what happens.

It's certainly not in the same class as the Kuhner or Foggy's Skunk Grade but it kept us entertained for a Sunday afternoon.

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=IMG_0178.jpg" target="_blank"> IMG_0178.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=IMG_0179.jpg" target="_blank"> IMG_0179.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=CopyofIMG_0184.jpg" target="_blank"> CopyofIMG_0184.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=IMG_0183.jpg" target="_blank"> IMG_0183.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=IMG_0188.jpg" target="_blank"> IMG_0188.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=IMG_0186.jpg" target="_blank"> IMG_0186.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=IMG_0185.jpg" target="_blank"> IMG_0185.jpg </a>

2. hdskip

hdskip Member

The important thing here is the quality time spent together. Neither of you will ever forget it. Go Dad!!!!!!!!

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The project gun looks good. Do you have any trouble with consistency with the shells?

Ajax

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

The shells are working pretty well. They make just enough pressure to stay consistent but they leave the barrel pretty dirty. They are some real puff balls with NO recoil. I wanted to make sure they would be fun to shoot because this gun weighs next to nothing. She's pretty small and has trouble holding a gun that's very heavy.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Thanks for the kind remarks. Much appreciated. We had a lot of fun working on it today.

The worst thing that somewhat hurts the function of the gun is the quality of the trigger. As you might expect for $50, it's HORRIBLE. As long as nobody loans her a Kolar or a Seitz she'll never know -:))

6. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

I hope some day me and my son can do some thing like this.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Well done. Quality time and she learned that problems can be solved without spending a ton of money. Something might be done with the trigger too.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can put some lead in the butt stock for added weight and use a curved rubber recoil pad which will help support the extra weight when the gun is mounted. Take a look at the pad on K-80 skeet guns and you will see what I mean.
    The trggers on those cheap guns are usually pretty simple to work on. Find somebody that knows how to work on triggers and he can reduce the sear engagement(gets rid of the creep) and lighten up the trigger spring(reduces weight of trigger pull). HMB

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

tumbleweed,

Thanks for the great thread! You and your daughter are going to have some darn good memories because of this.

Like hmb stated, those triggers are very simple and usually a slight modofication of a spring is all that is needed to make the trigger descent.

Please keep us posted as this project comes along.

ss

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Wonderful thread. There are so many things right about what you are doing. Wow.

Your poi work, light shells and results. "They are some real puff balls with NO recoil."

...and the time with your daughter.

My kid would rather skate board, so our work is on hold, but you can be sure I'll come back to this thread if he does voice an interest. I'll show him what you're doing. Maybe it will spark something.

Regards.

Joe

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Please pardon me while I brag just a little bit.

She's also pretty handy with a sewing machine and a pair of scissors. She has been in sewing classes since about 2nd grade and last summer she won IN state "Make it With Wool" contest and went to Nashville and competed at the National level. I'll give a big Thank You to the sheep association for sponsoring this event. It was a great experience.

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=WoolIN.jpg" target="_blank"> WoolIN.jpg </a>

She also takes real good care of her dog.

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=Comet.jpg" target="_blank"> Comet.jpg </a>

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Thanks for the ideas on the added weight in the stock and the possible improvements to the trigger. We will definately look into that. This thing might become such a "soft shooter" we'll have to bump up to a 7/8 oz. load.

I'm a little concerned that the added lead in the stock will put us severely over budget. -:))

13. joe kuhn

When you do bump it up to 7/8 (12 ga, right?), watch the top of the comb in relation to the bore. There's some debate about what the comb should be parallel to; the bore or the rib, but if it starts bumping her, that might be the place to look.

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Good job, last year my 11 year old daughter won the TN state shoot with a peice of cardboard taped to the stock for an adjustable cheek peice..

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Yes, it is 12 ga. I chose to stay with 12 ga. so we can use the same loader and many of the same components that I use for my 1 oz. loads. I just change wads and toss a wheat puff on top of the shot to help with the crimp.

Right now the rib is 9/16" tall all the way back (parallel with the bore) and she can see a little bit of rib when the gun is mounted. She said it does not bump her cheek at all so I think the pitch is just about right.

16. joe kuhn

tumbleweed,

The front of the comb looks higher than the back. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Great thread ! I agree with Joe , comb should be at least in line with the bore or the rib , if it starts smacking the cheek. Lay a stright edge on the rib ,then measure down at the front and back of the comb. Good luck! Jeff

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

You guys are exactly correct. My intention was to have a flat top on the comb but my manufacturing tollerances are off just a tad. The front needs to be whittled down another 1/16" - 1/8".

All good suggestions and all are appreciated.

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The reason I asked about the shells. I also loaded Titewad in low charges for my Grandkids and had inconsistency problems with the lite loads. I called Hodgdon and they recommended I try some of the Winchester WWlite. It's a designed powder for this kind of things. I liked it so much I load my first shot in doubles with it. Anything to keep the young ones shooting.

Ajax

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

tumbleweed

She's a keeper.

I agree with Ajax on the Winchester WAA lite powder.

Its great for really light, low recoil loads.

You can make 7/8 or one ounce loads going 980 fps that feel like a 410, and crush targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.