1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Barrel, Internal Hammer, Field Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Idlechater, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idlechater

Idlechater Member

Fellow Trapshooters:

I am interested in acquiring a single barrel, internal hammer, field shotgun. I know that the Remington Spartan fits the bill, however I would like something that is of a little higher quality. There are a number of single barrel trap guns that one might consider (for example, the BT-99), however these all have barrel lengths of 32" or greater, and/or do not have a safety. Thus, ideally I am looking for a 28" to 30" inch, single barrel, internal hammer, moderate to high quality shotgun that has a safety.

If any of you know of a make/model that might fit the bill, please email me at ejb@ecgmc.com.

I appreciate your reading my post.

Earl Brigham

2. Idlechater

Idlechater Member

Fellow Trapshooters:

I thought I should clarify. By single barrel I am referring to a break action shotgun.

Regards,

3. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Winchester Model 37

4. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I think what you want is a Savage model 220.

Look on gunsamerica.com or on gunbroker.com.

They are available on those two sites on a regular basis......not every day, but regularly.

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Why bother with the single barrel? Go to an over/under. They are not much heavier and you have a bit more. There are a lot of great choices for field grade o/u out there. If safety is an issue - go to a bolt action.

6. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

They kick works than a Missouri mule. Enjoy??

7. Idlechater

Idlechater Member

Gentlemen:

I appreciate your replies.

I will have to check out the Model 37, however I believe they have a hammer...

I have not looked into the Savage 220... I will do so...

I already have a Browning XTS O/U... I do not want an O/U, I want a single barrel, break action, hammerless 12 or 28 gauge with a safety...

They only kick like a Missouri mule if the gun does not fit your properly, and/or you do not reload for yourself - which I do... A 7/8 ounce load in any gauge does not kick...

Anyone else out there have any ideas?

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. When you come up with one we can get parts and service for, PLEASE let us know what you came up with.

The Savage 219/220 series was obsolete before I was! LOL

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The model 37 Winchester isn't a true hammer gun, the external hammer cocks a striker which fires the gun and it's quick. Hap

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The Savage mentioned above is the only single shot-break open that I can recall which had a safety but without an exposed hammer.

Iam not sure why your looking for the requirements you mention but Galef and Beretta both made an inexpensive single shot with a rib. Neither brand had an external hammer or manual safety.

11. reb87

reb87 TS Member

There are some winchester 101 guns that are single barrel trap guns with safties.

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Ithaca made a very nice one under the lefever name years ago. All that I have seen were marked "Long Range Field and Trap." There are some well worn examples on Auction Arms and Gun Broker right now.

13. Idlechater

Idlechater Member

Gentlemen:

Again, I appreciate the information...

I will check out the additional references...

The reason that I am wanting a single barrel is much the same as someone wanting a single shot rifle -- it says something about the shooter -- as long as you can walk the talk... I currently hunt with my Browning O/U, but like the statement that a single shot makes to both my boys (ages 14 and 11) and to the kids that I teach trap shooting and hunter safety to...

The reason that I want an internal hammer is simple - I like the looks... I have several external hammer break action shotguns, but I am not especially fond of their looks...

Thus far - the only modern shotgun meeting my criteria is the SPR100... I have only begun looking in earnest for about a month however... I will keep looking, but if push comes to shove, I will either get an SPR100 and detail it, or perhaps I can find a custom gun maker that can make me something (albeit - this route will be much more expensive than I really want to go)...

Regards,

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Savage 220 is what you want. They may be hard to find. I had a friend who had one in 16 gauge that he used in still board shoots.

The shoot operator provided te shells which were 1 oz. loads in both 12 and 16 gauge and smaller amounts of shells in 20 and 28 gauge and .410 bore. He cleaned up and probably won about one in three matches.

They are sweet, well made little guns and very good shooters.

15. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Gunbroker

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The Beretta Gold E Combo comes with a single barrel, and a safety.
    You could sell the O/U barrels for about what a smith would charge to shorten that top single to whatever length you want.
    Make a very impressive "pheasant beater", if you're into making statements.

17. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I think I have what you want. It is Italian made. I'll dig it out of the safe later today, and provide more info, if you are interested.

Big Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.