1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Single and double or combo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mgfi26, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgfi26

mgfi26 TS Member

Hello everyone.

As I am fairly new to trapshooting I'm wondering what opinions are regarding shooting two seperate guns for singles and doubles or shooting a combo gun?

Thanks for the opinions,

mgfi26
    Matt

2. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

As a trapshooter, you should be mindful that the purchasing of a multitude of shotguns is a must. So, start out as expected and buy a safe full of the "right" guns, and then settle on a combo.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Matt: I shoot a combo, only because I have a 682 O/U and was fortunate enough to purchase an unsingle for it at a good price. I believe if I were to do it again I would purchase a used Kolar or Perazzi over/under with tubes and an adjustable comb. I would use this gun for everything. Trap, skeet and sporting clays. Someday, I might just do that. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what clay target disciplines you want to shoot. If money is a factor, I would probably look at a BT-99, 682, SKB in a single barrel and buy 391 or an 1100 with tubes so I could shoot doubles, sporting clays etc. What I'm saying is there are a lot of unknown factors that might enter into your decision. Good Luck.. Ed

4. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

If your just starting out and are going to be shooting the occasional doubles and mainly singles trap, I would start with a reasonable quality O/U set up for trap. This way you can shoot both games with the same gun without great expense.

5. 3357

3357 Member

I spent five years and 3 singles guns (paying dues) getting reasonably proficient (sp?) at singles and handicap before I ventured into doubles. I shoot a KX-5 for singles/handicap and this year bought an XT and had an adjustable pad and comb installed by the Country Gentlemen to shoot doubles with.

I now have a dedicated singles/handicap gun which I have confidence in and do not have to adjust or second guess, I also have a dedicated doubles gun that fits, and is set up specifically (sp?) for doubles.

In my opinion shooting doubles is not like shooting singles or handicap and at least for me, the less I need to "adjust" or change a gun the better I shoot. I know my guns work well for their intended purpose, if I miss I know it is my fault and my gun does not need to be "tweeked".

I am sure others will have different advice but this is how I managed it. Jess

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The general mantra is: Combo so that all shooting is with same, familiar equipment OR Two guns so that the O/U can back you up if the single was to breakdown. Both are something to consider. There was a period of time with me where the Rem. 3200 was the "only" gun and it served me quite well. Others find the same good fortune with an auto-loader....Bob Dodd

7. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment. How about just a solid o/u? For me, and I'm speaking only for me, I did notice going from a 32" o/u to a 34" unsingle. It felt different and my movement to the target felt different. I started using just the o/u since I seemed to "shoot better" with it. Can't explain why my scores were better with that barrel, just were. It may have something to do with confidence, but I noticed the extra length and weight between the two. For just starting out, I'd say get a solid o/u and then decide what you want in a combo after gaining experience.

my 2 cents.
    Hal Hitchcock

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would have to agree with Squirrelkiller. Buying one of everything you see and trying for a year or two to learn to shoot them is the way to go. THEN buy a combo. Wouldn't want you to miss out on the same misery we all have enjoyed
    as trapshooters. And when you run that 1st 200 straight be sure and sell that gun the next day. LOL

Seriously: COMBO

Good luck.

Dave

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've shot unsingles for singles and caps and a different gun for doubles. Didn't work for me.

I went to a Beretta combo 34/32 and had issues.

I went to a Perazzi 35/31.5 combo. Big issues.

I went to a Perazzi 35/34 combo. No issues. I love it. The barrel sets weight within an ounce of each other, the sight picture and POI is identical for all barrels, and my scores are improving.

Would I do it again. I don't think so. If I were able to start over, I'd buy a Perazzi O/U with Cylinder chokes and selectable trigger. Then I'd send it to Kerry Allor, Stu Wright or Wilkinson to have it fit for their choke tubes. Then I'd order a second, different stock so one would be set for sporting, sheet and bunker, and the other for ATA trap.

One good O/U for everything is the way I would go.

10. Barry

Barry Member

I shoot a true single barrel (TM-1) for 16Y & Hdcp. I won't go into the reasons why I greatly prefer a true single barrel over a combo in this thread.

But it means I have to use a different gun for doubles. An added benefit is I always could use my double barrel as a backup if the need would ever arise. (It hasn't in 18 years!)

11. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

All though it may be far fetched for your budget at the current time, don't do what I did along with 99% of the trap shooters. I started with a $1000 gun and then I moved up and then I moved up and then I moved up and then I moved up again. I guess you get the picture. It will cost you thousands and thousands of extra money to do it the way I did. Go wright to a top of the line combo and be done with it. I only wished I would have spent the $14,000 up front that my Kolar Max T/A cost and I would have had a lot of extra money to shoot on.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Get a used combo if money is an issue.

You ideally want the same trigger and stock fit for every event. Stock fit is the most important component to good scoring and consistency. It is not easy to get one gun right. Getting two different guns to fit you will give you - well - fits!

If you feel you need a spare, get an extra receiver. If you get a gun with a removable trigger group you may forgo the spare receiver. Most gun failures will be with the trigger mechanism. Firing pins can go bad too, but replacing them at regular intervals will suffice. Triggers can fail unexpectedly.

Don Verna

13. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If trap is the only clays sport that you participate in then I guess a combo would be best.

In addition to trap, I shoot lots of sporting clays tournaments so I use an O/U for that sport & the same gun for trap doubles......I have that gun set up to shoot 60/40.

I use a single barrel for singles & handicap set up to shoot about 80/20.

Experiment & see what works best for you & the shooting that you do.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Get a Browning XT over/under (you pick 30 or 32" barrels), a selection of screw-in chokes for all the shooting games and practice, practice, practice. Combos come with too many variables in weight, feel, point of impact, etc. Regards, Ed

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have come to the same conclusion as zzt. I now shoot a Seitz on singles and handicap, and my Perazzi flat rib sporting gun for doubles. .016/.024 chokes.
    I've had this gun for over 10 years, and tried various double set ups, but keep going back to the flat rib P-gun sporter cause it shoots where I look.

16. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I went with an XT combo and love it. After some stock alterations, it fits like a glove. I do, however have to agree with squirrel killer. What we need now is serious economic activity. It is becoming clearly evident that giving 700 billion dollars to school teachers, trial lawyers and crooked social service organizations( they are all run by community organizers)isn't going to jump start our economy. You need to take it upon yourself to spread as much money around as you can. Buy three trap guns, sell two, shoot one and buy three more.Shoot one of those for a while and sell the other three. Your scores will suck, but you can rest assured that you sir, are a good American.

17. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

One "good" (Good = One a PFS stock will fit) O/U with choke tubes and adjustable stocks. The second stock setup for sporting/skeet would be ideal. The PFS stock backend has a single bolt easy to get to and easy to change.

Regards

W&W

18. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

So threedeuces your saying that our nice single barrels aren't top of the line??

19. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

So threedeuces your saying that our nice single barrels aren't top of the line??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.