1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

simple shotmaker setup

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I would like to see some pictures of some shotmaker setups that are not as complicated as some of the ones I have seen. I will soon be buying a shotmaker and am trying to get some ideas. thanks, jamie

2. duke76

duke76 Member

Here is my shotmaker setup. It is about as simple as you are going to find and it works great.

[​IMG]

I have more pictures and a short movie clip at the above website. Enter the forum, then go under picture movie posts, then go under shotmaker pics.

3. duke76

duke76 Member

sorry, that did not work, hopefully this link will take you there.

http://loesshillsarmory.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=210

4. duke76

duke76 Member

well, I obviously dont know how to do that, You will have to copy and paste that in your browser to get that to work, hopefully someone will come along later and post the link.

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks, Thats exactly what I am looking for. How do you seperate your shot from the coolent? does the shotmaker produce a lot of heat, I am thinking of making a wooden stand for it.

6. duke76

duke76 Member

when I get done with a batch I dump it in a screen strainer (from Wal-mart)over a bucket and then let it drain for a while and then rinse the shot off with solvent also through the strainer.

7. scott k

scott k TS Member

do not use a wood stand. way to hot for that to be safe.

be safe scott

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

jbmOU the wood stand is ok but make it strong get of the cement backer that lowes or home depot sell for ceramic tile and put that on top get 2 pieces of 1 or 2 in angle iron about 16in long and set shot maker {a Stewart} on the angles that way there is no direct contact make table big enough to keep all the things close if you are not going to do this all time a quick set up is concrete blocks and a old 1 3/4in solid core door rick

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks for all the info. Next time I go to a hardware store I'll look and see what I can find to make a stand for it. Thanks, Jamie

10. duke76

duke76 Member

My shot is just as round as factory shot, I would post a picture but as you can see I do not know how to do that.

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

From what I have heard, at first you may not get perfectly round shot, but, as you become more expierienced, the quality of your shot gets better and better.

12. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

jbmOU:
    With a Better Shotmaker by Jim Stewart your shot looks just as good as factory.
    Give Mr. Stewart a call at 256-587-0107. You can email Mr. Stewart at jstewart1934@hotmail.com or look at his web page at:
    http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html

He test runs every machine before shipped so it is making good shot when you receive the machine. The closeness to the coolant (must be at least 1/4 inch),the coolant you use, and the lead that you use will determine how your shot comes out. Car wheel weights are best lead, truck wheel weights have to be mixed 20% to 80% car wheel weights, and samr for other types of lead used.
    Ellen

13. gnprts

gnprts Member

Simple and compact and easy to operate. Although all of the shot is not perfectly round it breaks targets.

14. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i dont think the targets know the diff.between factory&home made shot(shure it may not be perfect but it still dust the targets as well or better than factory shot, wheel weights are alot harder than factory shot),i think my scores have increased since using my home made shot,in my head?maybe,or maybe its because my shell cost has dropped to $0$(my sales to club members pays for my componets) and i can shoot as mutch practice as my sholder can handel,(some times i think about that fishing commercial where the guys arm falls off),
    my set up is probaly as simple as they get,a stewart better shot maker $350,harbor freight 20 gallon parts washer notched on one end for the lip of the shot maker to sit through,stand for shot maker is made from a old bed frame rails,welded nuts to the bottom of legs to run 6 inch carrige bolts through for adjustable feet(set up to hold 14 gallons dot 3 brake fluid that i get for free used from car dealerships)$100.,bagel pans,french fryer baskets lined with aluminum window screen(rinse&sorting,&drying set up)$50,harbor freight cement mixer to graphite shot,$100.(not a necessary step but it does help when it comes to selling,looks moore finished),didnt take long to re coup my equipment investment,just trying to decide now what size drippers to get for my second stewart shot maker.any questions feel free to ask ,mark

15. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Ellen, I was planning on getting the jim stewart shotmaker, to me it sounds a lot better than the littleton. I just need to sell the bt-100 I have for sale on here and then I will be giving him a call. thanks, jamie

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Duke, you just need to go back and edit and add the http:// before your URL.

see if it works as I posted it. Ray

17. duke76

duke76 Member

Ray your link worked, How do I go back and edit, how do I get my link to light up in the message?

http://loesshillsarmory.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=210

18. duke76

duke76 Member

Alright the link to my shotmaker setup is in the website url of this post.

19. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

duke76, what are you using to coat the lip of the shot maker? 10Tenner

20. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to make the pan for lead shot maker

shotmaker setup