1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

simmons rib question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomaso, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomaso

tomaso Member

at a recent gun show i saw a model 12 3" turned into a trap gun with monte carlo stock, checkering etc. nice gun, too much for me. the rib was marked simmons but not with the block lettered stamp but in script. does that suggest an age or era or just a variant from any period? looked classy. thanks. tmc

2. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

That is an older style rib I have one just that way with a donut post rib? I think if you ordered a rib from Winchester on a 3 inch model 12 they had Simmons do the work. My gun also has a milled rib not the Simmons straight lines they use. what was the asking price?

3. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

Grew up and still live in kc metro area with my father buying from and shooting with ernie sr. when i was a kid and have seen many a simmons rib in my lifetime, never recall seeing one lettered in script, always blocked from what i can recall, would love to see a picture of script identification, maybe would jog my memory.

4. tomaso

tomaso Member

that lower photo is it. maybe it was original. asking 2250-2500$ i was not aware simmons did the ribs on 3" guns. i just knew the ribbed guns were rare. i will have to stick with my solid rib gun but i like the idea of a 3" trap model. thanks all. tmc

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The script marking is late forties, early fifties, probably mostly donut post with matted rib surface, not grooved. The matted surface is not the same as the Winchester matting. I have never seen an original Winchester Model 12 with Simmons marked rib.

6. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

check their history @ 913-782-3131, last time i was in their shop still 1 or 2 employee's still employed since the 60's, i may have seen this before and when i saw it was skeptical but never inquired about it, they have picture history to refer to, i'm sure

7. AWC

AWC Member

Back around 1980 a Winchester VP wrote the American Shotgunner and made it very clear that Simmons never put a rib on for Winchester. Winchester did sell them guns in the white and they in turn put ribs on them and sold them to their dealers. They were a big Winchester distributor. They offered both field and target guns with their ribs. Many a trap shooter ordered a new Model 12 trap from his dealer and got a gun with a Simmons Rib on it. In their Cat. the price was the same with either rib. I always figured the dealer got the gun with their rib a little cheaper.

This is just my opinion but the Winchester VP did write the letter.

AWC

8. tomaso

tomaso Member

once again all is not clear but it will probably never be. eightbore, thanks for the dating info. i would love to have a gun like that (3" trap setup), but price will be the issue. the script just adds a period look for me and that makes me want to collect one. like the knick ribs on ithacas or solid ribs in general. tmc

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The doughnut base rib was patented in 1954. They were installed by Simmons and under licence by Winchester, Same with the round post.These two styles of vent rib were the only ones factory installed on a 3 inch gun. Jeff

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

As Jeff just stated, "They were installed by Simmons and under license by Winchester." However, the ones installed by Simmons were for Simmons retail customers and to be sold out of the Simmons catalog. No Model 12 vent ribs were installed at Simmons for Winchester. However, Simmons did install some Model 42 ribs for Winchester as well as for their own catalog.

11. musky

musky TS Member

I have a 3" model 12 with the 32" barrell that say's simmons gun speciallty patented. Mine has the donut post but they don't look like the one's on the 20ga. above. Saved it from a 40 year life in a closet. Larry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1938 model 12 winchester with simmons vent rib with script writing

cost of putting on a simons vent ribs

ernie simmons trap guns

evelotion of the simmons rib

old pictures of simmons gun ribs

simmons rib installation

when did simmons start putting ribs on winchester model 12