1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Seitz vs Krieghoff

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

This should create some interest----What does a Silver Seitz offer that a K-gun or some of the other high grade guns don't have---They seem to sell for lots more than other guns and I can't see where the difference is---Thanks---sjb---

2. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Kind of an odd question. Have you shot both of them?

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

No I haven't shot a Seitz but there must be some on here that has and can ans the ?---Thanks---sjb---

4. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

I've got one, and it just feels "right" - or whatever word you want to apply to that indefinable feeling. Maybe it wouldn't feel that way to you, and a Krieghoff would. Shoot them both and see which one you like the best. Krieghoffs aren't inexpensive either, so a guy that can buy one can obviously by either.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Seitz has a very nice trigger and balance. I like the in line firing pin. But, I shoot a K-80 because I want a combo. All fine guns offer different things. The differences have different appeal to different people. Different does not mean superior.

Pat Ireland

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I've owned and shot both the K guns and the Silver Seitz.

The K80 is a fine gun. Its design roots can be linked to Remington's Model 32 which was designed in the early 1940's. Through Krieghoff's efforts, that gun has evolved into the K80 of today, which is a reliable, proven shotgun. Krieghoff is known for their excellent service and you have lots of choices - trap single, trap combo, skeet, sporting, blued, engraved etc. There are probably thousands of K80s out in the marketplace. You can spend $7500 - $50k on a new K80, depending on your choice. I believe Krieghoff also makes rifles that are highly regarded.

The Silver Seitz is a newer shotgun, originally designed in the early '80s by Tom Seitz, a very accomplished long range rifle competitor. The receiver is made from stainless steel. IMO the trigger is much more crisp and has almost no 'creep' or lag time when compared to the K80. There are only around 45 of the original Seitz guns around because Tom Seitz made each one himself. I'm told the wait time was 6-9 months. Tom Seitz died in a camping accident and AIM, the company that now makes and sells the Silver Seitz based on Tom's original design, has made somewhere around 900 guns. It's only within the last 2-3 years that Silver Seitz offered an over/under.

Both guns will, in the proper hands, break targets. I believe the chief mechanical difference between the guns is the trigger. I suggest that you have to experience the Silver Seitz trigger. So, find a couple fellows at your club who are willing to let you shoot their guns. Shoot the K80 first a few shots and then shoot a Silver Seitz.

As far as preference, I like the Silver Seitz. Haven't any experience with Perazzi.

Why is one more than the other? I think a small part of it is supply and because shooters are willing to pay for what they perceive works better for them.

Others should chime in here.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS I have a Silver Seitz for sale on this forum which I'm more than happy to sell to you. <:)

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Pat---I am a K-gun owner also But I notice that a Seitz(like with like)will bring more $$s than a K-gun combo---Thats what I am wondering about---I also note that Sietz is coming out with a combo I think,if so what will that sell for?We have two Seitz shooters at my club and they really wack em---just wondering if they have better tecnology?---sjb---

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Question: What does a Silver Seitz offer that a K-gun doesnt?

Answer: A lower resale price...if that matters to you.

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I notice there are two Sietz f/s on ts's and they are asking almost 1/2 price of a new gun---They must be great buys---sjb---

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

southjblue- In my opinion, the Seitz does have superior technology with the trigger and firring pin, but the K-80 has superior technology with changing the POI. The technological difference between the Seitz, K-80, BT-99 and Rem. 870 will not enable you to shoot any of them better. You shoot the gun and any of them will serve you fine.

Pat Ireland

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Older fixed rib Seitz guns are selling for some great prices the adjustable rib gun seem to sell for much more and they also make a Titanium Seitz that is lighter and sell for higher prices usually. I have shot a few and like the gun very much some people think they kick but that was not my experience. I do not know if they are big bore guns or if some were that would be interesting to know. I shoot a K80 unsingle with a original Tom Seitz massaged barrel back bored and choked by Tom in 1982 for the cost of 150.00 I have the receipt to prove it times have changed.

12. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

I currently shoot a 35" adjustable rib Seitz. Love the gun, very little recoil, smokes targets and has been 100% reliable. My neck has begun to suffer from arthritis, so I tried a new K80 Trap Special. The upright position of my head takes the pressure off my neck and I can shoot it pain free. I also like the un-single and the way the target is easier and faster to see. I bought one from Chris Maest of Clay Target Sports who has taken excellent care of me. I will keep the Seitz until I have made the transition and then probably sell it. You cannot go wrong with the Seitz and their service is excellent. Krieghoff is the same, they have treated me very well. Your call, but you cannot go wrong with either gun.

13. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Sadly each suffers the same problem - neither is a Perazzi...

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you buy a gun for resale value you just hit on the worst reason I can think of to buy a gun ... or any other toy. Face it, they are just toys. There are only a couple of dozen folks in the country that can justify spending the money because they will get a positive return shooting it in competition. The rest of us, including myself, like nice guns (toys).

Buy one 'cause its pretty. buy one 'cause you want one, buy one 'cause you can, buy one if you think it shoots better than the one you have now, but don't buy one for future value. Trap guns, by their nature, get used way too much to retain lots of used value. Yes, some are better than others, but for the most part all of them suck as far as "investments" are concerned. You want investments, buy gold coins or muni bonds. You want a new toys, buy a trap gun.

Now that I have that off my chest... Silver Seitz guns have interesting values mostly because of age and innovation on the newer models. Older guns made in the 90's with fixed ribs and flatter poi's sell for considerably less that newer versions with adjustable ribs and choke tubes. Remember, anyone who owns a Silver Seitz probably shoots a LOT! A significant factor in pricing older guns.

K-80 guns of the original design have taken a value hit since the Trap Special guns came out several years ago. However, since the Euro-dollar went nuts the price of a K-80 combo did the same...so the used guns were dragged up in value by the of the new ones. K-80 combo sets sold for under 10K for a long time, so the used sets for sale now are bringing a greater percentage of their original dollar amount, however after inflation its not a real gain.

Both are great shotguns. I shoot a Seitz and have for 6 years now. I love the gun and frankly don't remember what I paid for it. Rich and Jerry take good care of their customers as does Deiter and the KGun crew. Buy a used one if you find a deal or a new one if you can afford it, just make sure you have a good reason... not future value.

broken target thanked this.
  15. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you go over to Bob's house, he will let you play with his toys.

Pat Ireland

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the post but what I can say is service. You can go any where and get service on a K-Gun. Can you do the same with a Silver Seitz?

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

......K-80 was designed to be an over/under so it's trigger assembly must have two striker mechanisms in a small space. The Seitz was designed to be a single shot gun so a more robust trigger assembly can fit in the same space. There are other aspects of a gun designed as a single that make it a simpler more robust design than a over/under. I shoot a K-80 for doubles and a Alfermann for singles/caps. For me this is a set up that has worked well.....SMOKIT

18. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Seitz is state-of the-art in a single barrel trap gun.
    It does not have a hammer. It utilizes a form of a striker.
    The primer ignition is far faster than any hammer gun. The
    material's used are the finest available. It is not mass produced
    like a Krieghoff or Perazzi. (You also don't have to carry
    a spare trigger assembly like the big "P". They probably make
    less than 50 a year. Very expensive but worth every dollar. AIM,
    the manufacturer of Silver Seitz, is a contractor to the aero
    space industry including NASA. They work in tolerances that the
    other gun maker can only dream about. Take off the side-plate
    and look inside. It's as well finished inside as out. There is
    nothing wrong with any other brand but Seitz is the Apex in terms
    of design, materials and assembly.

19. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Bragging rights is all it is. Put a million dollar price tag on it and some fool will buy it. Aside from Mr. David Shaeffer's excellent shooting, I remain unimpressed.

20. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

I have both and like both.

I like the way my SS feels, points, handles and shoots a little better than my K80, but it's subjective.

I live halfway between SS and Krieghoff so service is not an issue and the trigger group on SS is much less complicated than a K80.

BTW, the SS ejects hulls farther than the K80. LOL

Adios, Dirk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
seitz shotguns

silver seitz

silver seitz for sale
silver seitz review
silver seitz shotguns
silver seitz shotguns for sale
silver seitz trap gun