1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Dollar Hotels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Highrise, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

My brother and I will be headed down to the Southern Grand at the Silver Dollar in March. We have never been before and do not know the area. Can you guys help with recomendations on local hotels. We would like to be close to area restaurants as well. I have been researching on-line but it all seems to run together after awhile.

Thanks,

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Restaurants all around there. Take some time and go to Tarpon Springs and visit one of the Greek restaurants there.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here ya go. It's on west side U.S. 19 about 1.5 miles south of 582 (Tarpon Springs Rd). 582 goes right over east to Patterson road which runs right into the gun club. We were there the middle of October and it had just been refurbed and had changed hands (guess that's why the website is a little sparse). It was $66 tax included, of course that was the dull season - heated pool, hot tub, close to everything, but still quiet. No bedbugs. Don't get fooled and pick the one a little closer to 582.

Look it up on mapquest satelite image and you can see the pool. Route 19 is really busy, but if you learn how to do "The Florida Flip" you'll be able to correct any wrong turns at the next traffic light. Explore Tarpon Springs, you'll be amazed. Find your way over to Howard Park on the Gulf some evening after shooting. Good luck.

http://www.kayak.com/Tarpon_Springs-Hotels.Tarpon_Springs_Hotel_%26_Suites.21328.ksp

4. nords

nords Member

I think that's the Holiday Inn. My son & I stayed there it is nice and I think we (I) got 2 free cocktales from 6-7 each night.

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The best advice I can give you is stay out of Tarpon Springs and off of US Hwy 19 period. First time we were in Tarpon Springs we had to wait until they removed the crime scene tape at the "Tahitian Inn" before we could check into our room. (mugging in the parking lot) The following year we stayed at the Ramada Inn in Tarpon Springs and got to listen to the heavy bass "thump" music until 3am. That was followed by the hispanic road crew that came by to pick up their labor at 4am and sat outside with the truck in reverse for 10 minutes with the backup beeper going off. The following year I walked into the Days Inn to check rates and was propositioned by one of the "ladies" before I could get to the clerks desk.

The better hotels and restaurants are in the Oldsmar, FL area. Holiday Inn Express, Marriot etc. Look under Oldsmar, FL for lodging. MUCH nicer and quieter area.

Good luck.

6. stokinpls

So, how long did you stay at the Days Inn? ;-)

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Holiday Inn in Oldsmar is top notch, easy to and from the dollar, Marroit is close as well. Both good choice. Jake

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Stokin,

Just long enough for my wife to let me know we weren't staying there.

(long, quiet ride down to Holiday Inn Express in Oldsmar)

Dave

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Heh, I was propositioned at the Tahitian last year. Wife said I'd better not cooperate or else. Now we know who wears the pants in this family.

The beds provide a guaranteed backache without an addition!!

10. stokinpls

Dang, some of those places you guys mentioned have some dandy reviews, especially the Tahitian. Guess we were lucky we went further down 19. Good stories.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

How far is it from the Tampa airport to the Silver Dollar?

- S&M Snyder

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sure, but I have no access to a computer.

- S&M Snyder

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Highrise, So there you have it. Sounds like the Days Inn and the Tahitian Village are 2 good leads for both you guys to stay at while your down here in Florida. Oh Yeh, Good Luck at the Silver Dollar as well. LOL. On a serious note Route l9 at Cody's for a pretty good steak and just west of l9 and Tarpon Springs rd has most of the greek and local seafood resterants. Sponge docks and misc. Break-em all. Jeff

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I know it sounds goofy, but I'm using an army walkie-talkie from the 80s with a 3G wireless card wired in parallel and an LCD screen off my kid's PSP.

-Gary

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

APrice: I don't think you're being serious.

-Gary

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Staying in Tampa near the Airport is a good option also look at my post on Silver Dollar things to do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.