1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Dollar Complaint

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

After being here for a couple of days, a couple of things caught my attention as being outrageous. Firstly if you are not a member it's $6.25 for a practice coupon. This weekend was the Hall of Fame and it was as expensive to enter events and get registered rounds. Secondly and biggest. The greater percentage of shooters for the Hall of Fame were from states other than Florida. If you won your class as a resident you received a nice crystal vase on a pedastal. Other awards were plates or belt buckels. If you won your class and were a non-resident you won a $10 Winchester Knife. Wow! Way to go Silver Dollar.

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have been down there and I was not impressed with the place. I thought it was dirty, not well kept and some NOT all people working the event were rude and pushy. I have also heard if you win an event you had better stay and pick up your trophy because they WILL NOT MAIL IT TO YOU. Even when you offer to pay all costs to do so.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I will be sure to check all non resident prizes before I venture out of state to shoot. I shoot cause I like it. The prizes are secoundary. Although driving several hours or days to get a trinket for shooting well can have a negative out come. The out non resident prizes for the Mass states where not very apealling. looking forward to some registered shoots soon. We dont start until March. A few marathon shoots in feb. Maybe its time for a all cash prize pool. As far as a knife for a class win.....give me the 5 10 bucks it cost. Heck just put it on Ebay.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

criticizing the SD on this site will not win you many friends. but I believe you. As I recall, the ATA "mentioned" stuff like this when Silver Dollar management was applying for the Southern Grand a couple of years ago. So they have to straighten up for that shoot but there is nothing in the world that regulates their behavior when hosting local events. Price gouging has become part of the American way.

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

For $28.00 a hundred they could do a little better on trophies.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I also remembered someone won an event and very proudly walked up to get his prize. They said all the stuff they do and then placed a box on the counter. The box had 6 cheap wine glasses in it. As I was told it was a $6.00 wine glasses from say Walmart. He as I was told just walked away and never picked them up. Its those kind of prizes that piss people off. You bust your ass to win events and spend all the money to get down to a big shoot and you win nothing but trash. That is not right.

7. blade819

Thanks for the comments. Having only been here once before, last years Southern Grand, I actually thought about having a second home here. That is until I learned that a good lot from someone will cost you an arm and leg just to be able to pay the extremely high lot rent. Talk about the American way of Capitalism. Then I understand that joining the club (old and dirty) is extremely expensive. Needless to say my mind has been changed. Heck I guess you can join a decent country club for what this whole thing would cost..... to live in a trailer. Let's see how the Dixie will be run. Can't wait till I see the prizes for that!

8. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Wonder why there are so many homes and lots at silver dollar for sale?
    Allen

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Porch Dog - around here (De, Md, and NJ), things are the same for resident and open trophies at the state shoots. Differences are seen between trophies provided to State Residents by the ATA and trophies purchased by the host state org but one would be hard pressed to say the ATA provided trophies were nicer.

10. badminton

badminton Member

Don't blame the Silver Dollar for the prizes for the HoF shoot. Those are supplied by the Florida Trapshooters Association as this was there shoot.

Kelly

11. blade819

Porch Dog.... won non-resident hdcp. runner up at NC HOF and got a very nice pewter plate and stand. Badmiton...... firstly congrats on your 200 yesterday. To answer your note... I was told that the Florida ATA donated the resident trophies and Silver Dollar furnished the non-resident trophies...uhh.....knives.

12. blade819

Porch Dog.... won non-resident hdcp. runner up at NC HOF and got a very nice pewter plate and stand. Badmiton...... firstly congrats on your 200 yesterday. To answer your note... I was told that the Florida ATA donated the resident trophies and Silver Dollar furnished the non-resident trophies...uhh.....knives.

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I've had it with Silver Dollar for a while. I'm staying home this winter.

Hope the rest of you guys have a good time and get some nice weather. That part I'll miss.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob for setting some people strait. They complain about $28 for a hundred targets, and they want fancy prizes as well. You just can't please everyone I guess. Break-em all. Jeff

15. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

The SO and I were at the Silver Dollar last September for one day and we were treated wonderfully by the staff. We rented guns and borrowed glasses and aprons. We were allowed to purchase reloading componants and shoot practice at the club prices because we had traveled from Virginia. We thought the club was great (the weather left alot to be desired but I guess by some standards, we can add that to the list of the Dollars faults) All in all we had a wonderful experience and thought the grounds and club house were great. Mike and Jeri and the folks at the Dollar do a wonderful job of making out of towners feel right at home.

My .02 cents. We were hoping to get back down next month, but a pending hip surgery is standing in the way :(

Luvn

16. oddlott

oddlott Member

I was there last week and bought 4 boxes of shells at a cost of $29.00 for Estates.

17. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I am planning on going down to the S.D. when I'm in Fla. for all the motorcycle goings on in Daytona in early March. I am only familiar with how we do it in Ohio so I guess I'll give a full report on the Silver Dollar happenings. I am looking forward to a good experience as I'll be riding about three hours or so on the bike to get there. Time will tell. Flagarto....I'll be coming at ya in about six weeks or so!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

18. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Straightshooter1, you are either a worker there, friend of someone there and or live in FL. I have spoken to people behind the counter and 3/4 of them had a chip on their shoulder. You can not put a gun on the rack with a FOR SALE SIGN on it with out someone from the counter getting on your case telling you to take the gun off the rack because they do not allow you to do that. Cheap wine glasses are not a Southern Grand prize. The place does need a make over.

Pull and Mark, To get ready for the Southern Grand you have to practic and get targets in. How much will that cost? To get the number of targets you have to go to ATA trapshoots. Gas, shells, shoot costs and sometimes hotel rooms. Then the practic. The cost of shells, the cost of the round and the gas that was spent to the range. Then you decide to go to the Southern Grand. Then you start all over on cost and add it to everything else to go to the Southern Grand. You win an even and what do you get for your trouble and hard work a set of wine glasses or a pocket knife or something else that you could buy at Walmart. There is alot of time and money being put out and people expect something in return that is at least nice not trashy. I don't think that is asking to much. $28.00 per 100 is high anywhere you go.

19. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

GARGO.....Most of the "dirt" you see around the Dollar is carried in a by a FEW who live like that where they come from...Don't forget to pick up your dog S#$T that you are responsible for....and your cig butts....and coffee cups. I watched a guy yesterday trying to get to the practice trap sooooooo fast he just tossed his styro coffee cup on the ground, grabed his K80 which was parked in a lot paid for by the owner (not his)and when finished never picked the cup from the ground. Put his gun in a cart and left. RUDE and pushie I don't care visitor......Sad thing is this type will be here all week..Yes our rents go up but we keep our small homes clean and grounds neat. I will be picking up YOUR trash after you leave and REPAIRING areas of the lot where you drive and RUDELY park. Try to keep your dog and pony shows at back home; you would probably have a better time at the Dollar......To all who enjoy our Silver Dollar;I wish you good targets and good shooting.......

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Let's talk about awards for winning a tournament. Let's compare trap and poker. Entry fees, Trap $28.00, Poker $10,000. Trap award $300.00 dollars and a pewter trophy. Poker award $12,500,000 and a diamond studded bracelet. Do you understand what I am saying? Do you get my point? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.