1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

silver certificates--one dollar- what they worth??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by motordoctor, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

do they have any value other then the face value of the dollar bill. they are used and in just fair shape. any help is appreciated. thanks Motordoc

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

More than a Feeral reserve note.

They removed the silver backing for a reason. Keep them. If you have a lot to get rid of consult a collector.

HM

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

google it, depends on a lot of factors (year, etc), some worth 8 to $14. Good luck.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I was working as a part time bank teller in 1970 while in college. As I remember, the "blue seal" silver certificates could be redeemed for silver ($100 minimum) for $137 per $100 at the Federal Reserve. All the bank tellers had an eye out for silver certificates until the exchange option ran out.

Today, they may have some value but I would guess not very much.

Ed Ward

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I used to work in a grocery store counting the checkers tills in the early 80s. Man, that was a hoot. Wheat pennies galore, occasional silver coins (pre 64), and old bills. One night I got 7 silver certificates, and once I got a 1934 $20 bill that was absolutely crisp.

I dunno where that bill had been hiding, but the last recession flushed it out. Still got it.

Silver certificates used to be worth about $7...but again, that was early 80s. I find as I get older, my sense of value is off. Things that are selling for $5000 today I think are only worth a grand.

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Silver certificates are worth $1.00 ea. unless they are in CRISP Uncirculated condition, then you can get more for them. Also, certain signatures bring higher prices. Find a coin/currency dealer in your area or get a catalog if you have a lot to check. Old style large size currency is worth a premium even in fair or poor shape. Again, a catalog will help. Gold certificates are nice to find and large denomination bills ($500 & up) will also bring a premium. Hope this helps. Larry Evans

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Agree w/ Larry. Not a lot of currency collectors out there. To bring anything more than a buck, they need to be crisp.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

There are a few exceptions out there... check dates and serial numbers

1928 "funny backs" and 1934 "funny backs", "experimentals", "mules" and certain "Hawaii" notes can fetch premiums.

If you have 1935s & 1957s, unless they have interesting serial numbers - low digit, radars, repeaters etc... they need to be CU/Crisp Uncirculated...

Respectfully offered,

jay

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

dont think anyone will pay $7 bucks for a used one If so let me know who. will sell about 50 .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

silver certificates what are they worth