1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Silicone Spray as Lubricant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pedagogue, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I have read all the posts over the years about lube but have never seen anything about using silicone spray as a lube. A friend said it is fine. I have my doubts. I still use STOS or Super Lube. What do the experts say. jack

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I do not like silicon lube on metal. Other products work better. For plastics and composites, silicon is fine.

3. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Silicone and silicone bases greases are often used in applications where metal and rubber or plastic components are in contact. The silicone will not attack O rings and cause premature failure.

Silicone can migrate and is tenacious in it grip on metal.

I do not know how silicone reacts with wood stocks.. or the stock coating / finish. Does it enter the pores of the wood in the wood to metal contact areas? Is any harm done by the silicone?

I generally do not use silicone products on my long guns or pistols.

4. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

I use it on the clothes dryer belt and the treadmill belt and sometimes on the ATV plastic.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I think of silicon as a protectant on metal but not as a lubricant. For rubber and plastic, glass, silicon can work as both. If you want a spray-on lubricant, get something with Teflon in it. Slick 50 One Lube, $3.99 for a 12 oz. can at Menards (sometimes the have it on sale for $2.99). Does a heck of a job on about anything, just keep if off of Momma's linoleum, unless you like skating. ;-)

Bob Falfa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

silicon for treadmill at menards