1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

signs of too much added pitch

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mt, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt

mt Member

i have steadily been adding pitch (adding more spacer width at the top of the recoil pad.)

while it hasn't eliminated the recoil hit to my cheek...it has definitely helped....the problem is i'm shooting pretty well with the gun...i just can't shoot it for more than 75 shells or so.

when is there too much added pitch...what do you look for?

all this is being done to a stock that was to a stock that was custom made for me / fitted to me by a pretty famous maker....just never worked out.....i kept getting banged in the cheek and zygoma....to the point of headache and nausea after only 3 rounds.

i'm flying back out for another fitting but.....i'm losing faith quickly

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Tron's onto something....

We had a junior lady shooter here in Alaska that was just getting beat to death by a browning she shoots....she looks like she lost a fight after most any shoot.

Anyway, of course she's growing up, getting taller and all that, so a very respected instructor put some downpitch in her stock to stop it from kicking her face. Didn't seem to help. As he was watching her again, he noticed that her mount was a little off-kilter.

Point is, this gal carries about a 96.5 singles average and has quite a few targets under her belt. Even she wasn't immune to being just a bit off during the mount. Bad habits creep in.

jeff

3. mt

mt Member

That's an excellent point. I think i'm ok with respect to form....i don't compete but i've taken a couple of weekend courses with some professional instructors...Leo Harrison and Dan Bonillas) and i think i've adapted their recommendations fairly well.

I tend to shoot 23 or 24 on most every singles round. Some days better...some days worse. So while i know that my form could always be better...it don't think its horrible.

any thoughts about the effect of too much pitch assuming form is satisfactory.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I may be wrong (it has been awhile) but when I had my gun fitted at the Grand nthe guy told me to put the spacers at the bottom of the recoil pad and the recoil will be pulled away from my cheek or in a downward direction.

Rock

Jim

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

mt;

There are a number of things that will cause cheek slap in addition to incorrect pitch. They involve both an incorrect shooting form and other ill-fitting stock dimensions.

The pitch on the stock is correct (assuming a correct shooting form) when the entire pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder pocket as the gun is mounted.

Rock;

If the stock fitter told you to do something to extend the bottom toe of the stock to reduce cheek slap, he provided bad advice.

Rollin

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cold Iron- I have some question about the barrel not flipping up or down. I agree that the first inch or less of the barrel movement should be straight back but then the movement of the gun into the shoulder must cause the barrel to flip up or down. Mine will go down most likely due to the ports on top of the barrel.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.