1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Signing Releas Form

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just wondering,last week after shooting 3yrs there,and for several have shot there all their trap life,the club I shoot at required anyone who wanted to shoot to sign a release formApparently they changed insurances and New conpany wanted a release signed by anyone shooting there.Any others out there have the same thing?

Doug H,

2. willing

willing Member

Two clubs that I shoot at require the form. Both have insurance.

Bill

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I am a tech official at Williams Grove Speedway, one of the most historic dirt tracks in the country. We require that everyone, even the officials, sign a release prior to being issued a pit pass and all ticket stubs and pit passes state that you enter at your own risk.

That release and those ticket stub warnings aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Four or five years ago, a sprint car became involved in a violent crash and came to rest outside the track through no defect in the track facility. The driver suffered a spinal cord injury that left him totally paralyzed from the waist down and partially paralyzed from his neck to his waist. He and his family weren't dirt-poor but they sure weren't wealthy. A few lawsuits later, he now owns his own sprint car team, courtesy of the track and its insurance company.

Our daughter-in-law is a claims adjuster for a large insurance brokerage. When we were discussing that former driver's new-found wealth some time ago, she told me that releases mean almost nothing in court and that she has had to pay bodily injury claims that are filed years after a release was signed and the claim was paid. Anyone having you sign a release is hoping you will think you waived your right to further compensation for any damages or injury.

Ed

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

We do it at our club, Worthless paper. A good lawyer will have it thrown out in court..

5. burtona

burtona Member

Even a bad lawyer can make a release worthless. You can't really sign away your rights to claim negligence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.