1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sign of the times...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rpeerless, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

It has come to my attention that a one hundred and twenty one year old tiny church is closing because it does not meet code and does not have the $500,000, it will take to fix it. For over one hundred years St. Anne's Church operated without a septic and bathroom and other costly repairs that are now (of all times) necessary to keep it open. This was reported in the ReminderNews for September 6, 2012. What a blow to the tiny community of Glasgo, CT.

For more information contact www.stthomasvoluntown.org

According to the article, Father Ted Tumici is the go to person for more information.

The amazing story about this tiny Catholic Church is that it was originally financed in part by a Protestant industrialist.

What a shame that in these troubled times that this small community will loose it's church.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    They should put it on the national historic landmarks and rent it out for weddings. That's what an old but obsolete church did here.

3. rpeerless

It's a tiny chapel sized building set up on a hilltop and it has services one hour per week. Making them put a septic and bathroom is a back handed way to making them close, IMHO. especially after 120 years.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Can they get a variance for a big portable, e.g., a trailer of "heads" simliar to those used by movie production companies?

By the way, I think all churches and temples need a toilet of some kind. Shows the parishiners what purgatory could be; just look into the septic system.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What happened to separation of church and state. HMB

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have been seeing this happen often. The neighborhood goes downhill, the church slowly loses it's revenue base until they can no longer keep the doors open.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

But is this really a violation of seperation between church and state? IMO, a church may not be exempt from local health and building and safety laws. To allow otherwise, would imo, negate the seperation between church and state and show favoritism towards a seperate group or set of groups, in this case, organized relgion.

I, for one, to make an example, would not relish living next to any building, church or otherwise that has, say, no septic system at a minimum and is used by many people.

Any barristers out there that can clarify?

8. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

I know a couple of $hithouse lawyers around here. :)

9. rpeerless

I don't know how many families the tiny chapel serves but seeing how it has one service a week (anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour) I don't see where it needs a septic and toilet. Why not a port-a-let or go before you leave home as has been done for a century plus? And there's the option to leave.
    I read about the tiny church and just thought that it is a sentimental place for those married or buried there over the past one hundred and twenty years and honestly think it's worth saving.
    Also think it is extreme for the town "code" to expect this tiny group of church goers to come up with 375,000 -$500,000 as reported in the ReminderNews in these troubled times. Is a church considered a public building?

Copper, anything is possible in CT when it comes to high prices. CT is the suburb of NYC.

If you go to the web site under Home go to St. Anne's and there is a photo. I believe there is a history on the website somewhere as well.

The article caught my attention also because a fellow trapshooter (now diseased) was a member of the church and was married there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.