1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sighting in a shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I recently bought a Savage 210 slug warrior and bought a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 shotgun scope. I had it bore sighted at GM where I bought it but have never sighted in a scope before. I read on the 'net how to do it but my question is this... Do you sight it in on it's maxiumum power or it's lowest? And if you sight it in on 7 power will it still be "on" when lowered down to 2? TIA, Randy

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good question. The magnification adjustment should not change the POI. I would sight it in at 50yds with your scope on its medium magnification setting. I sight mine in at 2" high at 50 yds which puts me at dead on at 120 yds with Hornady SST 300gr Sabot slugs. I have a Bull Barrel H&R Slug gun. Your results may vary.

Matt

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Sight it on on whatever power you can see the bullseye at the easiest. If your scope changes POI with magnifiction (some lower end scopes can, the nikon won't) you have much bigger problems.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Anything past 50yrds your chasing the wind. A 10 mph. cross wind can blow a slug off 8" at 100yrds. I agree with Matt.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to get the maximum accuracy from your scope you need to make the following adjustment. The rear lens of your scope is adjustable, while looking through your scope, screw the rear lens in and out until the cross hairs are clear and sharp. When you are satisfied with the cross hairs lock the tube in place. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bore sitting shot gun scoop prostaff

sighting a shotgun for trap

sighting im shotgun

sighting in a trap gun