1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sight Picture Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Joe:
    I don't understand fully your question. Save yourself time and money and pattern your gun on paper. See where your gun is actually shooting. Once you see on paper where your gun shoots you can make adjustments if necessary. When you see it on paper you will be able to shoot with more confidence.
    Steve Balistreri

2. Garry

Garry Active Member

Why adjust the stock if your setup was crushing the targets?

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Joe, the only explanation I can think of is you are moving upwards to the target with your front arm instead of moving your whole torso and head as a unit. Even though you start out with your cheek a little off the stock and see a lot of rib between the beads, you end up with a lot less when you fire.

Try adding only 1/4 to 1/3 of the amount of spacers you added to get you comb raised high enough to see the bead alignment you originally described. Then try it out using your normal, cheek on the comb mount.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have no idea what is happening, but I do wish I could lift my head and crush targets.

Pat Ireland

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

It is possible since you lift your head normally, that you are also lifting your head off the comb unconciously after raising the comb, thus end up shooting way high. That sub-concious head raising is hard enough to keep from doing, so since it is your normal practice, it may be continuing. Have a friend or someone on the line, watch you carefully while you are shooting to see if you do raise off the comb even with the comb up.

Jim R

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think that Jim R hit the nail on the head. Move the stock back down.

Now if you are inconsistant with the mount that "crushes" targets because your head is not moving with the gun, then you just need to pratice keeping your head on the stock with the comb adjusted up.

Jason

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Lowering the comb, lowers the POI.

Don't let the amout of visible rib between the beads cause you any consternation. This is immaterial if you have the gun adjusted to break targets, forget all the rib business.

WW

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I believe you are shooting off the Bbl w/first position and that is alright.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

It may not be that important or useful to figure out what is going wrong, if that can even be done (assuming you are even doing anything wrong).

Just try to figure out a way to comfortably mount and fire the gun, and break the targets. I know, easier said than done.

I am learning that the most helpful adjustments are those made between the ears.

bluedsteel

10. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Imagine a $100 bill laying across the comb that you don't want to lose when you fire the gun. Any incentive to keep the cheek pressure on? If not, send me the $100! Thanks in advance, Dave

11. hoot619

hoot619 Member

couldn't you put a sticky pad on there and hold it as before. in other words build it up a little. The Finnish genius Ken

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

"""I beleive some think I am talking about lifting my head? What I am saying is just taking a little pressure off of my cheek on the comb"""

it takes much less then this for me to say I raised my head.

Somedays All I have had to do is move my eyes from where I settled in!

Movement you can not feel will change your POI!

If what is between you ears is trying to find the FEEL you have been shooting,

that muscle memory will make the move whether you know it or even feel it.

I like a frim pressure on my cheek, and feeling the gun bring my head to bird is when I am right on!

AL

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

nsguy- Your image of a $100 note on the comb is good---perhaps. Several years ago I tried it with only a $20 bill. I carefully placed the bill on the comb, mounted my gun and smashed the target. That made me happy. I lowered my gun, reloaded and got ready for the next shot and noticed the $20 had blown several posts to my right.

If I used this idea for a 100 bird event, it would increase my shooting costs and increase the number of friends who would like to squad with me.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

losing sight picture and not fireing gun trap shooting