1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sight picture and pulling the trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I shot a disappointing ATA round yesterday. New gun, new glasses, etc. Those things I can deal with.

During the last few rounds I've shot, the misses made me feel like I shot before I got the proper sight picture. Is it better to train shooting relatively slower, making sure you get the right sight picture, and consciously pulling the trigger? It looks to me like that would eventually train the brain to recognize the proper picture, and the shooting would become more automatic.

Danny

2. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Danny

Dont be afraid to add a shim to your comb, the gun change may have affected your POI. Settle in on some singles till you are smashing them hard, regain some confidence with the new gun, someone behind you will tell you where you are shooting. As for your sight picture, if you are shooting before your brain is telling you to shoot then STOP IT !!!! lol... go back to the 16 yard line, check your POI with those targets, regain the timeing that your brain wants, you may have to slow down so your trigger finger can catch up. Also dont forget to see the target properly, let your mechanics take over as far as your initial move to the target, make sure your misses arent because you are jamming yourself up. The brain will short out when the visual aspect of the game is behind. If your mechanics and visual aspects of this game are on par, your brain and trigger finger will catch up.. Good Luck.. Jason

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First you need to know if you're new gun is shooting where your old gun was shooting. If not, adjust it.

If you are "seeing" the sight picture and "consciously" pulling the trigger you will not get very many targets.

Take a snap cap to the line and shoot a round with a good shooter with a sling tempo that is similar to yours. You will be able to see your sight picture in relationship to when he breaks a target. This will also give you a feel for your new gun.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

From what to what in guns?

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

pm,

I just started shooting a Browning BPS Trap, used IM choke from 16 yards. I had been shooting my 391 with MM rib, adj comb and butt plate. I only shot the BPS six rounds before the ATA shoot. But of the 150 practice shots, I hit 144.

The change of guns and shooting methods is something I know causes a problem. But the feeling of pulling the trigger prematurely has haunted me for a while now, not just lately. It's a feeling of "why did I shoot, I wasn't ready to pull the trigger?"

JBrooks, I will get the POA and POI figured out. I don't shoot a gun much without knowing the POI, but my time was limited and I had this shoot on my calendar. It's good practice under a slight bit of pressure. However, for training, isn't it better to train your brain to pull the trigger when the correct sight picture is obtained? Otherwise, what's telling you to fire?

One answer might be that I am either point shooting or sustained lead shooting angled birds. I suppose it's easier to pull the trigger subconsciously using a swing-through shooting approach. Are all good trap shooters swing-through shooters?

Danny

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Danny - It sounds to me like you are aiming the shotgun and that will cause you trouble.

Try what nearly all of the top shooters do. Mount your gun, glance briefly at your sights to assure alignment and look hard above the trap house. You may not be able to see your front sight. If you can see the front sight, it will appear as an out of focus dot. Pay no attention to it. Call for the bird and see it clearly with your head down. Just let the gun shoot when you are ready.

Things like lead will take care of themselves. You gun will shoot where you are looking if you keep your head down.

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Problem is the trigger in the new gun. Your brain is programed to hit targets using the trigger on your other gun. I will bet you the triggers are different. HMB

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat. It may be that you are so concerned about proper sight picture that you're not just letting things happen. When I'm breaking targets consistently well; I can't tell you what the sight picture is.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
16 yard sight picture trap

correct sight picture for a trap gun

proper sight picture for trap
sight picture trap shooting
sight picture when shooting trap

trap shooting sight picture

trap sight picture
what sight picture is best for shooting trap with a over under