1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SIG/SAUER P230 380cal. Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ljutic231, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I have one and it is a great concealed pistol. Very smooth on double action. shot a lot of shells thru it and never has malfunctioned.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have one (230) that I,m going to sell . It,s blue not shot much and has a holister case and all papers ,

E-MAIL IF INTERESTED

3. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

I have one-great,very dependable,never fails to feed-I have 4 Sigs,this is my carry gun. I have some extra Galco holsters that I don't need if you get one!
    Email if any other questions.

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

How does the Sig 238 differ from the 230?

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 230-232 series are great guns, but are on the large side for 380's. Several folks make 9mm's that are close in size, have twice the power, and shoot more affordable, effective, and available ammo.

With that said, the little Sig is arguably the best of the 380's.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

any sig is good

7. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Shoot one before you buy, to make sure the slide doesn't bite your hand. Bob

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The P230 is an excellent .380, and lightweight. Recoil is comfortable, even in the aluminum frame model (at one time an all stainless model was made, perhaps it is still made). It does not suffer from "slide bite" like the PPK, though it is larger. Reliability is excellent.

Yes, guns have evolved, and there are 9mm handguns approaching the size of the P230. But the recoil level is quite a bit higher. And that's another issue... can you effectively engage a target with one of the smaller 9mm's because of the recoil level, especially for follow up shots? After all, if sheer power is the question in a lightweight package, and to heck with recoil, then why not simply get a scandium/titanium small frame .357 revolver?

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you buy one you will not be sorry. I have one and its a blue model. I would like to pick up a SS at some point. Its a great gun for a carry and it shoots great.

11. new loader

new loader Member

ALF,
    check your messages.

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I like the p238 a lot other than it has a 8 lb. trigger pull. That in it's self will through your shooting off on a gun that small. Other than that it's a great Cary gun.

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

230 is a great gun, but on the very large side for it's power. At least half dozen 9mm guns are equal or smaller than 230.

For great concealment and power combination, Walther PPS is hard to beat.

14. JTEA

JTEA Member

Funny you should bring this up. This morning I received an e-mail from Front Sight regarding .380's for pocket pistols.

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2010/07/05/ignatius-piazza-pros-and-cons-of-pocket-pistols/#video

You just witnessed the best example of the pros and cons of pockets pistols I could ever show you.
    Pros: She had the gun in her pocket, not under the counter or in her purse, or in the lock box. It was in her pocket ready for immediate use when she was on her back and at arms length from her assailant. Great job!
    It does not get more real and a gun is never more valuable than when you can smell you opponent's breath at that critical moment you shoot to survive!
    Cons: She hit him at least twice with pocket pistol caliber rounds in the upper torso and likely the head (although not between the eyebrows or moustache) and he ran away like he wasn't even hit!
    True, he stopped his attack.
    True, he might die 30 minute later from bleeding internally.
    But remember, he only ran away because he was not a very dedicated opponent. Had he been high on drugs or enraged or simply a real bad dude, he would have kept on coming because pocket pistols just don't pack enough stopping power.
    So what is the answer? What is the best choice?
    I practice what I preach and so do all the instructors at Front Sight:
    Carry the biggest caliber, loaded as hot as you can handle it to deliver two, quick center of mass shots to a target 3-5 yards away, in less than 1.5 seconds. If that does not stop him, then have the skills to quickly follow-up with a single round to the cranio-ocular cavity.

I had a beautiful Stainless Sig 230 that I just traded in this year (like new, Perhaps still at Shydas in PA). It was small to carry, but it was also limited. They only have 7 rounds. I had a Walther years ago which had feed problems. I cleaned up the ramp and got it running well, then traded it on the Sig. Had an HK P2000 in 9mm which I traded as the recoil was a bit sharp. The Glock 27 is an excellent small handgun which holds plenty of .40 cal; if you like Glocks. I never got comfortable with the hand grip angle so I also sold it. I now have a S&W M&P compact in .40 S&W which is comfortable and controllable with plenty of power. Many safety features and adjustable grips. Shoots quick and functions well. Beretta Storm's surprised me recently as I saw a display at the PA State shoot. I found a used regular size one and it shoots quite well. The one I have has a smooth trigger and a well thought out safety and decocking system. The sub-compact in 9mm is small, if the grip feels like it's OK for you. Some are too small for me, thus my choice using the S&W. For vehicles or home I keep Sig 229's in .40, loaded to the max.

JT

15. new loader

new loader Member

ALF, check your messages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.