Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sig Sauer P-220 Match Pistol help

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  ricks1 
#1 ·
I am looking into the Sig Sauer p-220 match pistol. Are they as accurate as they say? Has anyone had any issues or problems with it? Or would the 1911 be the way to go. I am looking at just Target Shooting, not for carry.
I will be shooting about 150 rds. a week. Can the Sig handle a lot of rounds with out failure?
Thank's
Paul

#2 ·
They're both fine, choose the one that fits your hand best. Both have excellent quality .22 conversion kits available as well.

You can get numerous grip conversions for the 1911 and a crisp trigger pull is very similar to a fine trap gun. Don't forget to take a trigger pull gauge and do comparisons before you open your wallet. The action of some handguns are real dogs and some are sweet. The experienced shooters snatch up the better action guns and the poorer ones lie on the shelf longer. (for the standard models) The 1911 has far more accessories available and many fine manufacturers such as Kimber. Target models can have great accuracy. As with most firearms, accuracy costs $.

Sigs can be shot single by cocking the hammer, but make sure you want the double action aspect vs. the single of the 1911's.

Don't forget H&K and check out the SIG P210 if you want to do real target shooting.
JT

#3 ·
Don't forget that Sig now makes a single action only P220 Match pistol. I have an older P226 9mm and used to have a P225 9mm. Both are extremely accurate compared to other pistols. My older P226 shoots circles around my dad's new Springfield Match pistol in .40 S&W.

I got rid of my Colt Series 70 because takedown is a pain in the ass compared to the Sig. Any of the Sigs will take a few thousand rounds with no problems. The newer stainless versions will no doubt be better able to go 30,000 + with out cracked frames. The older alloy versions would develop cracks if used consistantly with +p ammo or after 20,000 rounds.

I would go with the Sig, although the 1911's have a certain "mystique" about them.
Good luck.

#4 ·
The 220 has nothing better to offer over the 1911 for target shooting. Unless you just want to be different or the or you just want a 220 go with a 1911 set up right, for the price of the high end 220's you can have a pretty high qaulity 1911. There is a reason you see practically nothing but 1911's on the bullseye line and most other pistol competitions it is legal to use at.

Not knocking 220's I carried one when I was restricted to double action autos.

#5 ·
Personally I prefer the Sig. I have a few, including an older model P-220 that has seen a LOT of use. It keeps coming back for more and I have shot the crap out of it. Never have much trouble with loads or bullet profiles. They tend to feed, chamber, and shoot anything that resembles a .45 round. They are all more accurate than I am. The target model is quite a shooter. The 1911 is usually easier to modify and get custom parts for. The 1911 will probably be a better value for the money. I didn't need much for the Sigs, since I tend to shoot them the way they came. They seem to fit me better than most factory guns. My P229s get a short trigger and that's about it. The double stack frame seems to put my hand in the wrong position without it. With target loads, the Sig should last a lifetime.

#6 ·
The only 1911 based gun I have anymore is a 10mm, and that's because SIG/Sauer does not make a 10mm.<br>
<br.
I have a P-220 in 45 ACP that I picked up just after SIG/Sauer switched from a heel (bottom) mag release to the side release. That's a long time ago. Most people knew the SIG/Sauer P-220 as the Browning BDA in those days. This gun has have a huge amount of ammo through it. It has never failed to chamber, fire or cycle. It has digested everything. I can even put empty 45 ACP cases in the magazine and when the slide is released it will chamber them. Show me a 1911 that will do that. This P-220 has been my primary defense gun for many years. The finish is quite worn on the slide, but the aluminum frame still looks like new. There is no detectable wear of the slide rails, nor the barrel "bushing".<br>
<br>
As far as the single action P-220 goes, I'm not shooting Bullseye anymore. If I was, I'd be taking a serious look at it, and get some accuracy reports.<br>
<br>
Having said that, the 1911 has one big advantage. It is completely customizable. There is a plethora of factory and aftermarket parts for it. You're not going to get that with a SIG/Sauer. On the other hand, I've never found a need for anything special for my P-220 other than tritium night sights, and it came with those. I think I'm coming up on something like 25 years for this gun.

#7 ·
Get on the Sig Forum and click on Sig Pistols, it has lots of info on any Sig. I have an older German made P220 with the folded steel slide, and internal extractor, and prefer it over the American made stainless slide Sig's with the external extractor. Wayne

#9 ·
I've had lots of different 1911's over the years, plain vanilla to all the bells and whistles. Great guns, all of them. That said, however, the .45 that I bet my life on on pretty much a daily basis is the Sig 220 that I've shot the hell out of and carried for 15 years. I'm pretty sure it would chamber and fire a rock if you could get it in the magazine. It has been nothing but ultra reliable and deadly accurate since day one. I have a brand new one in the case in the safe in case I ever need it. Looks like the first one is gonna last as long as I do, however. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting the target model, but I bet it's a sweet shooter!!

Ken Rucker

#11 ·
Don has it right on. I have a colt gold cup match. $1200 gun It shoots very good. I bought a used sig 220 looks like it had 20,000 put through it, almost no blue. It will do just as good as the colt and not as picky on the ammo I would go for the match sig . If its right you dont need the bells

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.