1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sig Sauer 522 .22lr Good, Ok or Bad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've heard favorable reports on the SIG/Sauer 522s, but have never shot one.

I can give you feedback on some alternatives...

I've shot the S&W MP15-22. My son's friend has one. Reliable and reasonably accurate. It will cycle subsonics through Mini-Mags. I didn't care for the all plastic body, but so far they've held up well. You pretty much have to like them as-is. I also am not a big fan of railed forends. Still, it is tempting to get one as a truck gun, since the finish ain't gunna get hurt. I wish the plastic rail was made from aluminum or steel, since clamping rings to it either results in them loosening, or marring it. If I had one I'd install a long riser block and put the rings on it.

The Colt M4 clone in .22 LR is metal, and is closer to the real deal, but suffers from reliability. And that pretty much kills it as something to be recommended.

Ruger makes the most reliable, the SR-22, because it is based on the 10-22. However, it only vaguely resembles an AR15. If proven reliability is high on your list, this is what you should be looking at. Accuracy has also been very good with these.

Remington makes a tactical version of their 597. The less said about it the better.

Myself, I went a different route...

View attachment 210877

This is my CMMG Sierra upper in .22 LR. It basically emulates an M4 flat top. The barrel is a dedicated .22 LR, not a .223. This increases accuracy. The basic mechanism is that of the old Ceiner conversion kit, but this one works and is reliable. It can be installed on any AR15 lower that has a round face hammer (notchless) and a GI trigger. Reliability has been excellent, and accuracy is very good, running just behind my 10-22T. It has cycled anything from CCI and Rem subsonics to Mini-Mags, with or without a suppressors. The upper receiver is a genuine AR15, not plastic like the Chiappa. CMMG offers several versions of this upper, and has several options for each upper, such as operational forward assist, bolt holt opens and stainless steel interior parts. CMMG mags mags for them, but I like the Black Dog mags better. I paid $349 for my upper from Midway, but prices have gone up. I think they're $399 now. And CMMG also offers these as complete rifles, and these rifles will accept .223 uppers. (BTW, that's a suppressor on the end of the barrel. The barrel is 16". The lower is a plain Del-Ton that I swapped its notched hammer for a notchless.)

Eight different CMMG .22 LR uppers

Three different CMMG .22 LR rifles.

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have the 522 in SWAT version. Same size as the 556. 25 round mag, quad rails. $535.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't know how well they shoot or how reliable they are but my local Wal Mart has one for sale right now along with a S&W M&P in .22lr and both the Sig and S&W in 5.56mm as well. They had a Colt AR 15 as well but I noticed it was gone after a few days. I don't know about ya'lls Wal Marts but ours locally has really stepped up on the guns and ammunition. Of course with the WSRC close by we have all the Trap, Skeet and Sporting ammo you could want.

I sure like the looks of that Sig.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I enjoyed mine quite a bit. Never had a single problem with it. In fact the only issue I ever had with it was it's insatiable appetite for ammo. I bought an extra 25 round magazine which worked out great because I could be loading one while my daughter was emptying the other. She always won the race. With a red dot sight there was no problem ringing a 5 x 8 gong at 100 yards with the 522 either. A shooting buddy bought mine as a gift for his son (so he could get his back). I will probably be getting another soon because they are a blast.

--- Chip King ---

5. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

I have about 1,500 rounds through mine with a variety of ammo (although I prefer CCI) and do not recall any malfunctions. I mounted a reflex sight on it and it is pretty darn accurate and really just a fun gun to plink with. No regrets with this one.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Go standard version. All those rails are a pain in the ummm hand. In the 22lr they are just uncomfortable to grip with anything bigger they are the reason the Swat guys wear gloves. Those rails will eat your hands up.

Just my personal opinion

--- Chip King ---

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You can get snap on rail covers. Magpul makes several kinds. See link.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian's right on the Magpul rail covers. I have them on one of my AR's Quadrail and they work great. They can be postioned in many configurations and come in many colors including plain old black. I mixed matched two colors on mine.
    grntitan_2009_2503296.jpg

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We've had the Colt, M&P and 522. The 522 has been the most reliable. Eats anything. Trigger is heavy, but you can "spray and pray" with out a hiccup.
    $470 is a good price. You can get them in black or olive drab too.

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

a 5# .22 ar clone = reliable fun. s&w 15-22. you'll laugh your ass off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.