1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sideplates For Perazzi MX8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PeShooter, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeShooter

PeShooter TS Member

Has anyone ever sent an MX-8 to have after-market sideplates installed and then had custom engraving commissioned? Who would be a recommendation to do the sideplate work and what did it cost? I have an older receiver that has had very little use that I am trying to determine if this would make a good project. I would want to make this my primary shotgun used and would need to carefully watch the costs for each step of the project (sideplates, engraving, custom stock), but thought it might be a fun adventure. At least the base gun is paid for!

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Maybe Marcello Guiliani "Decimas 54"? He is in Italy and commisions custom Perazzi work. He also posts here so maybe he will chime in?

-Aaron

3. Avaldes

I just bumped a thread to the top, down in the FS section. It is about Marcello's "Plus" engraving. Take a look..

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The Perazzi factory condemns aftermarket sideplates and will not honor any warranty with such a mod. Such guns have cracked the frames with use as the machining necessary for the sideplate weakens the action at a critical point. The factory sideplated guns use a different forging and are instantly identifiable.

JIC you may not have known

Charlie

5. Avaldes

Good point. It is probably better to just look for really nice engraving like the one referenced above.

6. PeShooter

PeShooter TS Member

I figured that after-market sideplating would void the factory warranty, but had heard if it being done and thought there were places that could safely do the work. It makes sense that thinning any of the metal from the side of the chamber could have potential negative effects. Would the same be said of deep cut engraving you see on some firearms? Thanks for everyone's input.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

You can send it to Angelo Bee in CA for the whole job, he charges approx. $8000 with full engravings including trigger and forend iron. I ran across four of his work in the past, two were their owner's daily shooting trap gun with estimated 65000 rounds after the work, no ill effects.

Perazzi would like to make you believe this will make the gun unsafe, but it's 10 times safer than lengthening forcing cone and back boring.

Marcello is a wonderful source for real high grade Italian engravings and side plates. I have seen couple of his guns, IMO, they are prettier than factory engravings.

Here're two guns for you to compare: my factory SCO side plate & one of Marcello's

stevew_2008_030372.jpg

stevew_2008_030373.jpg

8. Steve W

You can send it to Angelo Bee in CA for the whole job, he charges approx. $8000 with full engravings including trigger and forend iron. Plus $4000 custom stock. I ran across four of his work in the past, two were their owner's daily shooting trap gun with estimated 65000 rounds after the work, no ill effects.

Perazzi would like to make you believe this will make the gun unsafe, but it's 10 times safer than lengthening forcing cone and back boring.

Marcello is a wonderful source for real high grade Italian engravings and side plates. I have seen couple of his guns, IMO, they are prettier than factory engravings.

Here're two guns for you to compare: my factory SCO side plate & one of Marcello's

stevew_2008_030372.jpg

stevew_2008_030373.jpg
    This was Marcello's personal gun

9. PeShooter

PeShooter TS Member

Thanks Steve W! That is some impressive engraving and quite convincing of the need to involve Marcello in a project gun. Thanks also for the Angelo Bee recommendation. I once had the opportunity to meet him at the SHOT show and enjoyed a conversation about a custom engraving project he did for me on an SKB a few years back through Guns Unlimited in Omaha, NE.

Steve W thanked this.
  10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The simple and obvious move is to sell your gun, add $12K and buy an SCO. No risk involved there.

I'm sure there are aftermarket sideplated guns that have shot many K's of rounds. Aside of not being a fan of non-functional sideplates for several reasons, the unnecessary risk associated w/ the aftermarket kind, as well as the useless extended cones and backboring make all of those mods something I care nothing for and personally avoid.

But that's just me.

Charlie

11. Avaldes

Those are some beautiful guns Steve! I love looking at tastefully made high end shotguns! Especially Perazzis! Would you mind sharing a few more pics of both of those guns?

12. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

13. Steve W

The key word is "tasteful" as Avaldes mentioned.

It's so easy to go over board on engraving and gold inlay, through out the years I've seen enough of fancy guns with poor taste. Obscene in some cases.

Here's another of my SCO side plate gun, deleted
    stevew_2008_030324.jpg

stevew_2008_030399.jpg

14. Avaldes

Thanks Steve, they are simply gorgeous!

15. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Of course puttin side plates will avoid the warranty just like putting Briley chokes,Porting you barrels, putting release trigger or putting not original chokes and on and on.
    But what warranty are we talking about?
    I never heard of MX8 with aftermarket sideplates bluing up or cracking. The job is done by a qualify gunsmith and this is the way it goes:
    the first thing to do is build up the side shoulders, just like the original. At this point the receiver goes to a furnace to be distemper and the work begins. We cut the receiver to accomodate the side plate. when the job is all done the receiver must be send it down to be perfect for the engravers. The job is not finish after the engraving is done because now we must give to the receiver the right heat treat. All this is a long process ad I sure you that it's done by people with a lot of experience and I'm sure that they can teach some lessons to Perazzi also.
    All this costs $ 2.500.00 USD plus engraving but with another $15.000.00 USD of engraving you will have a gun that you know they sell for ÔéČuro 48.000,00=$ 63.000.00 USD

Steve W thanked this.
  16. Avaldes

Outstanding description Marcello! Are the side plates welded to the receiver or do you use fasteners?

Edit - I just looked at the picture again and it appears to be welded in place.

17. decimamas 54

The sideplates are not welded on but they are, just like the original, they have a little wing on the side and they slide in a slot and they hold in place by the stock.

18. Avaldes

Ok, sounds like a "dove tail?" Are they pressed in place or are they free to move? Thank you for sharing your knowledge of guns Marcello!

19. Steve W

I think Marcello is having dinner at this hour.

Yes, factory side plates are kind of like "Dove tail" on the edges. They slide in from the back, then hold by the stock. It's a very snug fit.

20. decimamas 54

Steve is right. The plates are hold in place by the stock and they are easily removable by hand when the stock is out. That's a necessity because if your firing pin breaks the only way to replace them it's to take the plates out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta engraved sideplate photos

mx8-12 with side plates