1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Side X Sides??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Have an acquaintance that thinks I'm an expert but I don't have a clue about currently available SXS guns. He'd like a nice, reliable, SXS 12 GA. with "nice" wood, decent appearance, but, of course, not too expensive. This came to me through my bride so I don't know what price range he would consider but lets think maybe 1 to 2K for now. I don't have a clue what might be out there maybe from Spain or?? Any clues will help. Thanks in advance....breakemall....Bob Dodd

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go to CDNN on the net and look at their field doubles. Nice selection, good price. Other good guns out there. For the price you want to pay, you will not be getting a tournament gun, but you will get a gun suitable for years in the field. Also, check out DeHaan (sp?) shotguns.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Browning made a nice field SXS a few years ago. I shot one in the field for a few years and was satisfied with the gun.

Pat Ireland

4. algebra1

algebra1 Member

SKB made quality side by sides.I've owned afew myself.Models to look at are 100,200E,280,385 and 485.Some models were made for sporting clays and had a raised rib.Check out Cabelas fora nice 485 with raised rib.

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I have a nice Browning BSS ( side X side ) 12 Ga. IC and Mod. 26" Barrels Bevertail forearm, single trigger auto ejectors $800

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bob, I did a gun test a year or so ago on the L.C. Smith SxS being made in Italy and imported and distributed by Marlin. It was a very nice gun - tight and solid with color-casehardened real sideplates. I forget what Marlin's MSRP was on it but I did call a local dealer and found that his price was about $1,300 for either a 12-gauge or 20-gauge gun. Shoot me an email (drop the "x") if you'd like the text and photos from the article.

Ed

7. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I have a very old Parker SXS.It was handed down to me threw the family. The thing was very old looking.I had the bright idea to have the gun redone. I had the reciever done in satin,Damascus barrels reblued,stock refinished.Well later I found out that I lost thousands of $ doing this stupid trick...If I only Knew then what I know now...Nuc

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have several SxSs which I use in the field; 12, 20 and 28 Ga. Each of them is of European manufacture. To replace any of them today with a newly manufactured gun would cost as much as 15 times more than I paid for them. For this and other reasons such as inherent quality, balance, fit and finish, etc., I would recomment that he look at used guns. I believe that very few of the modern SxSs compare favorably with their predecessors in the price range you quote.

Finally, there seems to be a further price distinction between single and double trigger guns.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

drhuner shoot me an e-mail . I,m interested in a Browning S&S .

Thank You

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shot a model 21 SXS in 20 ga on the 16 a while back. Very nice shooting gun.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thanks to all, in contact with Ed for info on the Marlin he tested and the rest have provided ideas I can impart to the acquaintance without looking too silly. Not need for further comments unless someone has a miraculous deal. Thanks again....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

For functioning and field work, can't beat a Stevens 311A. Built
    like a tank - lot better than some of the imports and also lot
    cheaper. Pheasant hunted with 20 ga this fall and it worked
    perfect. Not too afraid to get scratched.

Doyal

13. esetter

esetter Active Member

Get a Browning BSS or an SKB 200 or 280. They will all last a long time and be pretty much trouble free.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As one who worked for Browning years ago, one of the DUMBEST things they have done lately is to drop the BSS. Although I prefer double triggers and extractors on a true field double, they are fabulous field guns.

15. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Smith and Wesson makes a beautiful S x S, theyre about 2k. I have'nt shot one but they have beautiful wood and a extremely nice finish and bluing. Shooting sportsman did a test on one a few moths ago and gave it the thumbs up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.