1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Side By Sides

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I really like O/Us. It's my favorite kind of shotgun. What do you think of the latest rage for side-by-sides? I'm personally glad to have the option for those shooters who favor them. But I don't really care for them myself. Do you think they will catch on and become main stream guns?

Related to this, my good friend gave me a stack of recent "Shooting Sportsman" magazines. These are mostly about truly fine side by sides, and about wingshooting. They are beautiful magazines and I enjoy looking at them and reading them, even though I don't covet fancy side by sides.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Snobbery.

HM

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

There can be no doubt that a fine sideby is a beautiful thing to behold! I don't think it will replace the O/U for clay sports however. Its better suited to wing shooting!

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Some sideXsides are good hunting shotguns and some happen to be quality trap guns, like many other types of shotguns are. They certainly won't be replacing the over/under for competition guns though! As for snobbery, sure there are some of those guys in that mix. Then again, I've also seen a tad of that with a few Mossberg guys too. Guess I'm bound to feel that way since I like several different types of good shotguns myself, no snobbery here for sure. Hap

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

The high grades are beautiful to look at but their days as a trap gun have passed, the Winchester Model 21 was one of the best as a target gun. The recoil on a side by side is more than I can handle, and have just this past year sold my last one. Remember - they recoil-recoil-recoil-hard.

The guns you see in "Shooting Sportsman" are almost all very high grades, and sell for $5,000.00 to $125,000.00. These guns are "bird guns" not target guns.
    A bird gun weighs around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 lbs and my target over and under weighs 10 1/4 lb. I have just stopped subscribing to this magazine as I have no need of a gun in this price range to carry on the hills of Arizona for Quail hunting. Reason being you WILL FALL sometime each season and cratching your gun will happen.

I still like the Merkel 147L in 28 guage and is hard to resist buying one.

Tom

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A moderately priced TRUE field double with double triggers and extractors, preferably a 16, is hard to beat as an upland or all around hunting shotgun.

Something was said about scratching up a field gun. Such things happen to field guns, and one should be prepared. Having a gun costing a grand or less makes this easier to bear.

I used to hunt with an older K-80, and I found myself watching the gun more than the game. It went away. Now I have an old 870 20 ga on the 12 frame with a 26" VR IC. It does what it needs to do, but that 16 double is on my mind when I get out the hunting gear.

I might go with the 20. I have a bunch of brass and wads for this gauge, but prefer the 16 for the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.