1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Side by Side for Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Duster, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Duster

The Duster TS Member

Has anyone used or does anyone use side by side shotguns for trap? Just curious, thanks.

-Cameron Aker

2. The Duster

The Duster TS Member

Will the Side by Side be accurate like an O/U?

-Cameron Aker

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

If anyone is interested, one of the old-time members at Pocatello was thinking of selling his Winchester 21 Trap model last summer. I could probably find out whether he still has it and get contact information.

4. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

I shoot one for doubles about once a month. Nice sighting plane looking down
    those barrels. Like they say its twice the fun! If you have one, take it to the club and shoot a round.
    Sportalluring

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shot my Winchester 21 for practice a few times....it was a field grade single trigger gun and was choked M-F and would smoke targets...but it was light and was a bit of a kicker. I'd love the opportunity to shoot a Grand American...what a hoot that would be.

6. Murphy

Murphy Member

I shoot a LC Smith some for trap, actually the only 25 ever, the first time I shot it. Only problem is it kicks like a mule.

7. Murphy

Murphy Member

I shoot a LC Smith some for trap, actually the only 25 ever, the first time I shot it. Only problem is it kicks like a mule.

8. johnpe

johnpe Member

Duster,

The side by side works very well for trap, but it disappeared from serious work because it really isn't competitive in the upper echelons of trapshooting. For people like me at my skill level, I doubt there is any difference. The last time I tried the Win. M21 Field (M&F), our side by side club was having a postal match with a club in Ohio. We lost. But, I did manage to break my 50. I have used the same gun on doubles a time or two and broke a 95 with it. So, a side by side will work at trap.

Johnpe

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Usually they shoot too flat. Barrel regulation (at what distance the barrels converge or cross their POI) is sometimes a problem on handicap yardage.

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can...I watched a 15 year kid run a 25 with a DRILLING last summer. 12 gauge with a .30-06 nestled inbetween.

And he did it without even breaking a sweat....

jeff

11. jlb

jlb Member

I enjoy shooting a sxs for trap and sporting clays. My sxs shooting has taken me from AA doubles to B with a smile on my face.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

First Trapgun I ever shot was an Iver Johnson SxS, full and fuller. They were looooong barrels. I probably never asked what length they were way back then, but they were probably 32".

This was an Iver Johnson dedicate trapgun, not a field-gun just being used to shot some trap.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

To really impress your shooting friends....hold it sideways and sight down the right barrel!

It will shoot a lil high, but you and adjust within a couple of shots!

14. capt jay

capt jay Member

Looking into a BROWNING B-SS for $700.00 single trigger any input also if anyone has an orignal owners manual please email me

15. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

Thats what i used back when i first started - about 40 yrs ago then bought an MX8 when i wore it out! I still shoot the MX8 (I have almost worn this one out too!) But i some times bring the old Lefeever out!
    Mr. Marcy

16. pocatello: am interested in the m21 that your friend might have for sale ...if available please e-mail details and price....thanks

17. welderman

welderman TS Member

I think a sxs is just as effective as an o/u for trap. It's all a matter of what you are used to shooting. Sure, most sxs are flat shooting, but you can compensate for that. IMO the biggest problem with sxs guns is that most of them are old and may not be as reliable as a modern o/u. I recently had the safety spring on a L.C.Smith fail. When that happens, the safety is permanently on. Tom S. (welderman)

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Date: 17-Feb-07 - 09:30 PM MT

Here's an old Win.mod.24 I shot a little trap with in my younger days and did pretty good with it. Several trophy's and cash, more than I paid for the gun first time out. Glad no one told me it wasn't any good for breaking birds! The strikers in this gun may be as fast or faster than my P gun. Hap

I raised the comb on this 1948 field gun with a K pad and electrical tape,lotsa tape! I wasn't gonna give away my secrets but,, it worked.

19. joe scout

joe scout Member

There is an advantage of shooting doubles trap with a sxs especially if your a two eyed shooter -- shoot the right barrel first if your right handed right eye dominate and then the left barrel --- it makes sense, one eye over the right barrel and one eye over the left barrel !!!

Joe

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe, that's not exactly how shooting a double barrel works eye wise. At least not for me when I was shooting my mod.24 in competition shoots. For tough angle shots, a barrel width can be used for reference for lead instead of the bead for more horizontal lead though. Isn't that close to what you meant? Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can side by sides be used for trap shooting
shooting side by side

side by side for trap

side by side trap
side by side trap un
trap shooting side by side
who won a major trap shooting competition using a side by side