1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sick of Juinors shootn full price at marengo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OHIO GUNNER, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OHIO GUNNER

OHIO GUNNER TS Member

I am a parent of a Juinor shooter and I was wondering if anybody has an explanation for why Juinor and Sub-Juinor shooters have to pay full price at Marengo. It angeres me when I have to pay full price yet everywhere else that I have shot it has been half price to be easier on the kids. This is espicaly hard on parents with more than one kid, and with Ohio having so many Juinor and Sub-Juinor All Americans.

Just interested in what other parents or shooters may have to say about this.

2. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

We play options so to me it makes no differance.

But it should be 1/2 for sub junior & junior who shoot targets only.

Dick Lawrence

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

It is a standard half off for those shooters but anything like options you do have to pay full price.

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

My boys just shot at the Idaho state shoot this last weekend in Boise. Guess what? full price. At our home trap club they have agreed to charge half price for juniors and sub juniors. In my opinion it is a shame for them clubs to charge full bore to the kids. We need more people to get involved in this sport and stay involved. Charging the younger shooters full price is not the way to keep the interest in the sport. On a side note. The practice tickets were $6.00. This kind of cost will run young shooters out quick.

5. OHIO GUNNER

OHIO GUNNER TS Member

Something else is that gas is rising, shot price is rising, and shells are 4.50 a box.

I Emailed the OSTA to ask them if they would charge a half off price or at least a reduced rate, but I do know that if they play options they have to pay full price, which is fair.

6. ccridr

ccridr Member

95 percent of the young shooters will drop out of the sport as soon as Dad quits footing the bill. The clubs should be trying to attract late 40'es and early 50'es shooters, guys who have their families mostly raised and have a few dollars to spend on a hobby. A kid just out of collage, Maybe just married ,
    (bad move), a car to buy and maybe even a house to pay for. Where the hell is he going to get money to shoot trap?
    Colby

7. ccridr

ccridr Member

Another thought. When I had five kids at home and we ran contest horses, no one cut me any slack for entry fees for 5 kids, They were mine and I paid for them. Why should I subsidize you kids shooting at my club? If you are going to give me that " the kids are the future " malarkee, see the other post on here by me. Look around the clubs you shoot at and count the 21 to 35 year old shooters, I will bet you that the 45 to 65 age group out munbers them 10 to 1.
    Colby aka ccridr

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

If a club charges $2.50 - $2.75 a round for kids to practice they are close to breaking even. I am in favor for the clubs to break even and not loose money. (only on kids that is) There is no reason for clubs to make a bunch of money on kids. once again, keep the sport growing.

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

When my kids were shooting, the state shoot and the grand offered reduced price targets. I can't remember any other clubs doing it. It was much appreciated but by no means did I feel any sort of entitlement. They were getting the same targets and services as we parents were so why should the price be different? At the state shoot, I know that the targets for juniors were subsidized by a gun collector's group. At the grand, I would imagine that the junior targets were subsidized by the other shooters in one way or another.

I never got sick of not getting this favorable treatment for the juniors. If that is making you sick, I suggest you are sick to begin with. Perhaps you should make a donation to the club to subsidize targets for all the juniors. I guess not. You're a one way kind of guy from what I read in your post. I personally feel that for all that has gone into subsidizing juniors in the past 20 years, the return on investment has been insignificant at best.

Much like the majority of illegal immigrants, you seem to feel that someone owes you something. You and I know that you are not looking for someone to susidize your youth, you're looking for someone to foot the bill for YOU! What is that teaching your junior shooter(s). Winning tthrough whining sucks and your whining is pathetic.

Just my humbel opinion.

Bob

10. redbone44

redbone44 TS Member

I love it - most juniors and sub juniors i see at the big shoots are shooting perazzi, krieghoff, kolar etc - much nicer guns than I have as a guy in my mid 30's who works 60 hours per week. Heck I've even seen many a seitz and bowen safely tucked in the kids lifted fancy golf carts as they drive around the shooting grounds. Yet the parents complain about having to pay full price for targets. Wake up people.

Dave

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

If someone gives me a gift, proper etiquette would suggest that I thank that person. Moaning and complaining because someone did not give me a gift seems pretty rude.

Just my untrained opinion......

http://www.emilypost.com/

12. razor

razor TS Member

most clubs here in wisconsin offer like $5.00 off per 100 for jr. shooters at ata shoots. razor & ellie

13. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I have 2 juniors (soon to be 3) shooting here in Ohio...while I am very grateful for the generousity of the clubs that charge half price, I also understand the constraints of running a profitable facility. The money savings is really to my benefit (not my girls) as they depend on Dad to get them entered. I have made a decision to finance an expensive hobby for ny girls and myself that we can all enjoy together. I won't argue with those who say when I quit paying the bills the shooting may fall by the wayside...It's just reality. I suspect teenage boys may have more of an impact on how long they shoot, rather than Dad's pocketbook.

I always try to remember to thank the clubs that do offer a discount for the junior shooters as well.

P.S. Daughter # 1 won her first ever Lewis class winnings at the OSTA zone shoot in the free Lewis class option.....I made her put it aside for Cheeseburgers and such for her and her sisters at OSTA state shoot. I find that feeding hungry teenagers is more expensive than the targets.

Bob

14. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I am not going to jump into the fray of whether or not jr/sub jrs should get a reduced price on targets but...

What other sport in the US charges 1/2 price for people under the age of 18 to COMPETE, not just practice?

15. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

When I started shooting trap in 1960, not registered, no one cut me any slack on prices, or provided guns and shells. I was about 15 or 16 years old at the time and funded my shooting with the proceeds from a after school job.

Most of the small clubs are struggling to survive and I have seen many disappear over the years. It cost the same to throw a target for a kid as it does for an adult. If a club or group want to offer reduced rates to kids, I don't have a problem with that, but it shouldn't be considered an entitlement.

I don't see any poor kids shooting registered trap judging by the high quality trap guns they are carrying. Most shoot higher grade guns than I do.
    I am with Dave on this one, if their folks can provide P guns K guns ect, they can afford to pay the going rate.

ed.

16. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Careful what you wish for......

You might get half off for what.......3 or 4 years?

Then I'm sure you'll be honored to subsidize all the other kids for what?.......25? 30 years?

As said above, sure; I don't mind seeing some kids get a break getting started. But I'm not interested in giving half off to the kid shooting the Silver Seitz or K-80, playing the options, and riding around in his own monster cart.

17. CIM

CIM TS Member

Our State Association charges full-price.Three years ago we spent $150,000 to have our new homegrounds built plus we have over 3000 kids shooting SCTP in our State.It takes us having a prelimanry all over the state and then takes 5 days for our SCTP championships to be shot.

CIM

18. dws

dws TS Member

Sounds like some "not all" have a sense of entitlement as far as "kids" are concerned. I pay full price, always have, even when I was a kid and worked at a club and delivered papers in order to pay to play. Mommy and Daddy did not pay for everything.

19. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I think senior vets should be subsided, because they are old and grumpy. S. Vet

20. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

BLKLAB, How about Jr. Vets like me? Us 50 sumthings can be grumpy too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.