1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sicilian Spaghetti and Meatballs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mette56, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Being it's winter and most of us have nothing better to do than cook...and eat, below is our ancient family recipe that came from the old country with my great grandparents:

SAUCE

3 - 12 oz cans of Tomato Sauce

2 - 6 oz cans Tomato Paste

2 Eggs beaten

1/2 chopped red bell pepper

1 - tbsp. Fennel Seed

2 - tsp. Sweet Basil

1 - tsp. Thyme

3 pods Garlic chopped

1/2 Onion chopped

1 - tsp. Salt

1 - tsp. Black Pepper

1/2 cup Water

Several meaty Pork Neck Bones

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

In a large pot with a thick bottom, saute onion, garlic, bell pepper in olive oil until onion is translucent (don't over cook). Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, all spices and pork neck bones. Heat on medium until mixture bubbles but not at a fast boil. Place a top on the pot and cook (takes several hours) until pork neck bones are done and falling off the bone. DO NOT BURN BOTTOM OF POT by cooking at too high of a heat!) Remove pork neck bones (they make an excellent snack). DO NOT leave ANY pork or bones in the sauce! Add 2 beaten eggs into sauce, then stir to mix. Add meatballs into sauce and cook with pot top removed until they rise to the top and are done. Do not stir the sauce after adding meatballs as they will fall apart. Stir after cooking meatballs about 30 minutes. DO NOT COOK ON TOO HIGH OF HEAT and burn bottom of pot! Sauce should have gradual bubbling while cooking. As you are cooking the sauce, if it becomes too thick as it cooks down, add a little more water but adding too much water to sauce will result in a plate with water seperate from sauce...add as little water as possible to sauce while cooking!

MEAT BALLS

1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef (90/10) fat content

1 - dried/grated Hamburger Bun or 1 1/2 dried/grated pieces of White Bread

1 - Egg beaten

Several Green Onions chopped. Include both onion and green (shallot) portion

1/2 Bell Pepper chopped. Mix both green and red

3-4 pods Garlic chopped

2 tbsp. Romano, Parmesan or Asiago Cheese (Romano is best)

1 tbsp. Finnel Seeds

1 tsp. Sweet Basil

1 tsp. Thyme

1 tsp. Salt

1 tsp Black Pepper

Mix all together in large bowl. Roll into meatballs, sized to your taste. Pack each tightly.

FRIED BREAD CRUMBS

Dry several pieces of white bread or buns then grate until they are crumbs. In a frying pan, put 2 tbsp. olive oil and heat to a low temp. Add bread crumbs. Turn heat up slowly and stir bread crumbs often until they start to toast. Continue to sir often to prevent burning of crumbs. Bread crumbs are ready when they cook to a golden brown color.

HARDBOIL SEVERAL EGGS and chop up yolk.

TO SERVE: Place cooked pasta on your plate. Add sauce and meat balls on top. Then add fried bread crumbs. On top of that, add chopped egg yolk. On top of that add grated Romano or Asiago cheese. Add some Italian bread to one side of your plate and a glass of red wine in front of it. On your Italian bread, heat it slightly with a little butter on top until the butter sinks in. Then sprinkle a little olive oil on top and add a little salt and pepper. We like this much better than garlic bread and this is a family method tradition.

For additional treat, add a potato or two to the sauce while cooking. Leave the skin on but only cook until barely soft (don't want potato breaking up in the sauce). Serve the potato seperately (great with pork neck bones) with a little sauce and it's a real treat. You'll notice there is NO sugar anywhere in this recipe. Sugar is usually added to spaghetti sauce to take the bitterness out of the tomato paste. The pork neck bones take the bitterness out of the tomato paste as does the potato and also the red bell pepper. Recipe takes a while but different, original and worth the time. This IS NOT your sweet Prago or restaurant type spaghetti and meatballs! Recommend you follow recipe exactly including homemade fried bread crumbs, egg yolk, finnel seeds and Italian bread method. Write back with any questions

milt

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I popped another button !

3. mette56

Maybe I should delete this thread. Don't need a law suit for giving dangerous and life threatening advice! Rick and Wes...you guys OK?

With deepest and most sincere concern,

milt

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

5. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Rick,

You finish off that POUND of cheese.. your going to have a new problem.. <eg> LOL

Milt, I'm not the best cook, can I just come over and enjoy the next time you cook ??

Jerry B.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Milt, you are really hurting me with this one but I am one who can eat anything and not gain weight so I will be trying it soon. My lovely wife is not so lucky so I may hide it. I dont want to influence her anymore than I already do.I just love people posting recipes from family & especially Italian. Deb & I are top notvh cooks but Italian is our weaker side. Thx again

7. mette56

Any of you friends can come to my house for spaghetti and meatballs and I'll through in homemade bread and wine and a special salad. But stay at least 2 to 3 days cause I've got some other dishes you must try...some award winning! Jimette and I have owned several restaurants and we have always given out all recipes to anyone who asks. P.S. we have 2 extra bedrooms..:) So come hungry!!! If you like BBQ, try rotisserie convection cooked in 1/2 the time of conventional smokers (see below). Heck, that thing will only hold 64 whole 20 lb briskets at once, so bring some friends too. Because our BBQ cooks in 1/2 the time, it's twice as juicy and NEVER cooked in foil. Below pics were taken at John Deere plant feeding 500-all three shifts fed individually right out of the smoker- to benifit Amer Cancer Soc. and at a Mansion (an historic site) to feeds hundreds to benifit the Mansion. Fed the entire 891st and families on 3 different occasions (at no charge) when they returned from Iraq and Afganistan. Feed all military, police and FD's for free. Will do fundraisers for any church that asks.

Prior notice required, please...

milt
    FtWorth
    mette56_2008_0807104.jpg

mette56_2008_0807105.jpg

mette56_2008_0807106.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.