1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Shutter Painting Advice? ==

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The prior owner of my home painted the vinyl shutters with INTERIOR latex paint (I found the old paint can in the garage). Despite being interior latex and in a harsh Midwest climate, the paint has adhered and held up fine for the 6-8 years since it was applied -- it's just faded. Now I want to repaint and switch colors -- going from medium green to berry or maroon. But there are 18 shutters so I don't want to screw it up and waste all that time and effort. I'll be using an electric sprayer. Here are my questions:

1) Is soap & water cleaning sufficient prep or should I use trisodium phosphate or something?

2) Can I skip the primer? Since it's already latex, and I will likely be using 2 coats of exterior latex over it, I really don't want to mess around with primer unless it's absolutely necessary (again, I've got 18 of these to do and that's a lot of little slats).

3) Is exterior latex with an acrylic binder the best choice or should I switch to an actual acrylic paint?

Intelligent comments from experienced painters will be very much appreciated.

-Gary

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Gary,

If your looking for intelligent comments, why are you posting here?

Don't you believe in tit for tat, for some of your off the wallers????

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hire an experienced painter, that's the best advice I can give

I would rather take an a$$ whipping than paint, I passionately hate to paint, no matter how careful I am I end painting myself

Glad my wife likes to

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah I hear ya, painting is not something I enjoy either. But unfortunately savings from DIY is one of the ways I financially offset my frivolous hobbies such as trapshooting.

I also need to do my own labor installing a kitchen sink, faucet, garbage disposal and three new toilets myself. The $1100+ that the plumber wanted will pay for 22 flats of Top Guns.

-Gary

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Yeah I know if I had to I would but glad the wife likes to paint, but I quit grabbing her butt when she was up on the ladder, she threatened to paint the side of my head one time, I told she wouldn't do that and grabbed her again

She proved me wrong

6. jrb100

jrb100 Member

Gary,
    Wash the shutters with a house wash that has little to no bleach that will remove mildew and dirt from shutters,a garden hose will be plenty to rinse them.Bleach leaves a slippery film that somtimes will prevent proper adhesion of the paint to the surface.After they dry,If you have an extension ladder put it on the ground and extend it as far as it goes and lay drop cloths over it and lay the shutters a couple inches apart on top of it. .I would use 100% acrylic latex paint,and put 2 coats on.Spray one coat and as soon as the shutters are dry to the touch,spray them again.Make sure you thin the paint some with water so it does not spray to thick.It goes very quick once your set up.

I hope this helps.

joe

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks a lot, Joe.

-Gary

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Just remember guys, anything inside the curb is woman's work!

Hauxfan!

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

When I was in High School, I worked some summers on a paint crew for the Redevelopment and Housing Authority. We painted the projects. Or superintendent was an old college All American who liked booze a whole lot more than he liked football. Over the years he had successfully consumed so much cheap liquor that he went blind in one eye.

Whenever we finished up a court and moved to the next court, Old Johns would have to look around for a vacant unit in which to take his morning dump. After a couple of days, we would have his schedule nailed down tight and we would go into the unit about 20 minutes before he did and paint the toilet seat. Being half blind made it kind of tough on the Old Boy and he'd be covered in fresh white paint before he knew what hit him. 'Course, the only way to get that nasty ol' oil base paint off was with turpentine. Well, can you imagine how his already inflamed bottom would feel every time he'd have to wash himself clean?

We'd be just outside the bathroom window so we could hear everything that happened. About the time he discovered his freshly painted butt, he'd start wailin' like a wounded bull. We'd run just as fast as we could and climb our gable end ladders at about three rungs per clip. He'd come blowin' out of the front door of the unit like he was being chased by hornets and we'd have to make it look like we'd been studiously painting since 7:00 that morning.

So, Gary, now that you have become a semi-professional painter, the lesson here is that whenever you feel like you need to take a dump while on the job, always pre-check the toilet seat. A word to the wise should be sufficient.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you have a high pressure washer, use it. Otherwise a good cleaning and thorough rinse then let them dry.

Most any major brand exterior house paint will do. You might have to thin it a bit with water in order to use an electric sprayer.

A little bit of FloTrol will help to make it flow out smooth and avoid lap marks.