1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shut down - or not?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Hawk46, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Should the GOP hold out for the budget cuts they want and risk a shutdown - or compromise for now until they go for Paul Ryan's proposal?

Personally, I say they should stick to their guns. I don't care if my "entitlement" checks stop (SS and VA disability). I'm willing to live off my savings for some time to send these libs a message. I know that everyone can't necessarily do that, but I think it's time to start driving a hard bargain. Our country is at stake.

Dave

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Hold out and shut down. Time to take a stand.

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

This is a battle the GOP must win or forget 2012. They are already concedeing half the battle, shut er down.

Robert

4. RAScott

RAScott Member

Shut it down or they will not take them seriously.
    Bob S

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Shut down. Must get budget under control or China will own us.

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Yeah, all this at the expense of our active duty folks in the armed services that won't get paid as a result of it. The dems should have to all stand a post on top of some mountaintop in Afghanistan w/o pay for a while to see how they would like it. This is Bravo-Sierra...

Jon Reitz

7. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Obama just finished a meeting with both sides. Tried to make it sound promising, but the impression I got is that they remain at an impasse. Sounds like the GOP is holding firm - I hope.

8. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Boehner and Reid just spoke to the press. Both very short, both looked unhappy. I say good!

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Get-er-done and shut-er-down!

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Shut it down send them all home and save the money! It's not like they do anything.

11. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

It's April for crying out loud. WHY is Congress having to spend time during THIS session arguing about "continuing resolutions" to fund the Federal gov't. for THIS YEAR..??? Why did the Democrat controlled Congress not even introduce a budget LAST YEAR and have all this over and done...???
    Pelosi should be brought up on a charge of NONFEASANCE for her failure to even bring a budget to the House floor last year. The Republican's should be getting the word out that the only reason we're at this point is due to the failure of the DEMOCRATS to do their duty in the last COngress.

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

yup shut 'er down, let these Tea Party folks take up arms with their shotguns and rifles and pull duty in Iraq and Afganistan rather than pay military and the gov't civilians supporting the military overseas in combat zones...if you want to run this country on the cheap, talk to the Tea Party. *end sarcasm*

13. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

If the House Republicans give in now then they will have no bargaining strength or credibility in future budget reduction attempts. The message of the election of 2010 was to get our country's financial house back under control. The events and circumstances of today are different from 1995, now the American public is aware of of the dire financial situation our country faces, they are engaged in the discussion and they are demanding that it is addressed.

This massive deficit is as dangerous to our country as any foreign army and, left uncorrected, has the power and potential to bring our country to its knees.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

sernv99, that crap about the military not getting paid is a ploy to make the fiscal Republicans and moderate Democrats look bad. There might be a delay for one pay schedule, but that's about it. It's time to do something, and that time is now.

Does your house run on a deficit?

15. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

The military will get paid on a slight delay. Once again the site mega-lib is wrong.

In Obama's brief speech last night he stated that taxpayers expecting refunds from the IRS may not get them. Pelosi accused the GOP of trying to starve senior citizens on home delivery food programs. I can't wait to hear all their other ridiculous scare tactics when the big plan is put forth by the GOP.

Anything to keep control of that checkbook. Trouble is, those checks are about to start bouncing - but the Dems could care less.

Our deficit is like sernv99 having about $20M on his credit cards and only being able to make 1/50th of the monthly minimum payment. Maybe that is his situation since he doesn't see any problem with this Obamanation of financial management.

Dave

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The majority of the people are not bright enough to comprehend that conservatives are doing this for the good of the country. These people are takers, not providers...how would one expect them to understand?

17. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

"The majority of the people are not bright enough to comprehend that conservatives are doing this for the good of the country"

I agree Serv99 comes to mind. Poor guy, I actually feel bad for these people who have been made to believe they NEED the government.

18. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Hawk46, you are exactly right. The problem is the checks started bouncing decades ago but we can just print more money.

We are headed in a very bad direction and I hope the American public wakes up and sees we can't afford to make everyone happy with handouts any more.

It's great to think that we can help everyone but an equal playing field is just not a reality. Some people will do better than others. Most of that is from hard work. Some is from being born into the right family or even just being in the right place at the right time but you have to be willing to work to make any of that happen.

Creating generations of wefare depended familes is not the answer. It helps the democratic pary increase their voting base as these people become dependent on them for survival but it's destroing our great country and everyone of use alive is seeing it happen.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The Dems\Progressives have maneuvered the Republicans into a bad position as always. I think they are correct, the press and the public will blame the Republicans for the shutdown and anything else they can dream up just like with Clinton.

20. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

come Monday, if a furlough is enacted, neither military nor gov't civilians are getting paid, whether they are assigned to a desk in DC or assigned to a foxhole in Afghanistan. Once the furlough is lifted, Congress has to approve backpay.

Hawk46, get your facts straight. There is no "slight delay". In a furlogh, military and gov't civilains don't get paid for that time period. You are way too quick to drop to your knees and slobber on the knob of Tea Party rhetoric.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.