1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHTF

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dverna, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

At the club this weekend I was surprised by a conversation I had with two members. Neither of these guys are "nuts jobs" - in fact quite the opposite. Both are educated professionals. Both are religious, but neither of them are religious fanatics. Yet, both expressed concerns about what might be coming, and the strong possibility they may need to defend their families.

Is this attitude/fear spreading among you and your group of friends? I am not talking about militia "crazies" - but "normal" folk who are actively preparing and planning for SHTF situations.

Don Verna

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I consider myself as a normal hard working happy American. If this possibility has not crossed your mind in the last year or two you must have your head deep in the sand !!!! I dislike the wording you give as "attitude".....call it what you want but where have you been ?

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say i'm actively planning for it but i'm certainly perpared for the situation should it arrise. Honestly the crap that has happened in some of these other countries should make you stop and think. Nothing wrong with preparring for something that may never happen. Disaster is not always something that happens to the other guy. Eventually you can and will be that other guy. Just say'n................

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

SHTF????

Eric

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

sh!t hit the fan

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that it would be possible to totally prepare for such an event but I do think there is a real possibility of social chaos. It really wouldn't take much to get such a nightmare started - a one week supply interuption to a major metropolitan area for example.

Even it it isn't a true SHTF situation, a guy should have an emergency plan that includes back up food water shelter and defense options. It may not save your bacon but it it better than doing nothing.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've always had some type of survivalist instinct, as they say " A good solder is never caught short" It's good to be prepared, water, food, fuel, and ammo oh yeah a good stock of alcoholic beverages too (at least enough to last until I get the still up and going LOL)

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Guns, bullets, a well, wood burner, wood cut and ready to burn, garden, some steers or cattle....where do you stop?

With out electricity your life changes dramatically. If I were a terrorist and wanted to cause maximum damage in the US, I would concentrate on the power grid in the winter time in a large city.

No heat, lights, or water. Even a generator can only run so long before you need to fill an LP or diesel tank.

Even those that are prepared will be overwhelmed by the majority that aren't.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have friends who send me e-mail articles about self defense and the defenmce of their families. When I ask if they have a gun, the say, "no"! I ask why and get the bs about, "My wife4 doesn't like guns", or, "I don't know how to use a gun". I counter with the statement, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away". So far, I have gotten one friend in Tucson to get a gun and to join a club to learn how to handle it. The others would rather talk and complain but seem unwilling to take the necessary steps to protect themselves or their families. I guess they expect people like me to do it for them. If and when, I expect that they will show up at my house so I can protect them.

10. lboh

lboh Member

I think about it each and every day the last couple of months. Am I prepared, not fully but will be soon.

Buy ammo weekly with cash and will have 6 month food supply in place very soon for the family and thinking about taking that to a 12 month supply.

Small group around me doing the same thing and we know who each are for support and trade to include antibiotics and medicines.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Folks...it ain't a matter of "If".....it may not be in my lifetime (65), but it's gonna happen. To that end, I have been stocking up on items that I feel will be necessary to care for my family and neutralize any threats.

Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have..

Curt

FEAB9

[​IMG]

13. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I'm 65 with 2 strokes under my belt so let it be. I'm in MacD's last nite eating some cheap apple pie when a bunch of loud, disrespectful hoods show up. I listened and waited for other people that were closer to them and the staff to say something but they didn't. So after listening long enough I got up and walked over to the loudest punk and said "hey azz hole, don't ever disturbe me while I'm eating my food. I've got all I can do to stop myself from killing you people". Well the azz hole was a quick learner and thinker, quickly appologized and left. The others beat it too! This is the second time that I had to confront wise guys in the last 2 weeks. My friends told me I set a bad example and that I should have used more mild language, like hello could you please tone it down. So next time I do nothing, say nothing, hear nothing and see nothing. I leave!!

Harry

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I did not shoot any Trap this season, for a reason.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Hey Hal - He wasn't too quick a learner. If he was he would have been dialing 911 and reporting you for threatening him. You would have been the one the cops would have taken away. And they would have you on the security camera making your threats. They would take your CCW for that.

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What really left a burning impression on me was back in 03' (or there abouts) when the power grid was knocked out for over a week and there was NO power. A minor problem with the line down in Ohio and that's all it took.

WHOA! It was like Mad Max times at the gas stations. Long lines, people acting like Jackasses and hording EVERYTHING. Now, this was actually not a big deal. It happened in the summer, so heating wasn't an issue....but, what if something BIGGER would have happened at not_such_an easy to do time??

You really better have a plan of some sort and plenty of food, water and ammo. I know I do. It's CHEAP peace of mind, when you think about it.

Jb

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

MRS Skeet please feel free to cower in the corner at your local MCD's when your RIGHTS are being trampled.

Congratulations Hal, somebody has to do it while the Skeeter britches of the world poll their friends and democratic senators for a "proper" response to thugs.

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

When power grids are gone, cell phones and land line phones will be disabled. Ham radios will be the only form of communication. I got a 2 meter hand held a couple of years ago. Should be millions of 12 volt batteries in abandoned cars to keep it and other low voltage equipment charged up.

Wayne

[​IMG]

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

daddidoo - What would you do?

Which rights are those? Is there a right to eat pie in peace? Is there a right to threaten to kill somebody because they interrupted your personal pie eating contest?

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

A box a week. That's all we ask...... Bullets not almonds

You all need to read the book " one second after" about life after all electronics are knocked out by a nuclear electro magnetic pulse ! Mass chaos follows ! Very eye opening! Load them up!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.