1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shrooms

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The morel season is fast approaching. We had a lot of snow this year so the mushroom hunting in Idaho will be good.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I can just see it now, both Daffy and Donald will be in the woods and they will be standing above the Shroom saying its Shroom season and the poor little Shroom will be saying that its Duck or Rabbit season.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Lumper in disguise, he thinks, is at it again!

4. Kent

Kent TS Member

I been eagely awaiting the season down here in Southern Illinois. The last few years have been very disapointing in aquireing a good mess. The old timers complain that the wild turkey population which has exploded down here is getting to them before the can be harvested by humans.

[​IMG]

5. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Us kids used to eat them by the bags full every sping. Yellow, black & gray sponges, black tops, & elephant ears. We would spend 4 or 5 hours in the woods picking then head for home. Grandma would soakem in salt water, slice in half, flower and fry in cast iron skillet. Had no idea then that they sell for 4 to 5 times the price per pound of the finest steak.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I want you all to know that this and the smoked food thread have made me hungry and I must now go to lunch ... dang you all for doing this to me. ;-)

7. cubancigar2000

gary0920 must be from the northern midwest. Greya and Yellows. Yummie. We dont get those here in the northwest. Just the black headed sponges

8. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Kiser Lake/St. Paris, Ohio

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Gary0920-I'm from Bellefontaine....don't ya think it's going to be a bit before the blacks come out?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. cubancigar2000

Ok, that makes sense Gary - I used to live in Ft Wayne and on my travel to and from Columbus Auto Auction I would sometimes hunt in your area. In answer to your question, yes it is a bit early. We see the blacks here about the second week of may or sometimes sooner. Last year I found 600 in a small woods on May 1st

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

" We see the blacks here about the second week of may or sometimes sooner. Last year I found 600 in a small woods on May 1st"

You are talking of mushrooms right? Please tell me you are still talking about mushrooms. ;-)

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

How do you distinguish the bad from the good?

13. cubancigar2000

grunt
    I have been hunting morels since 1949 and I just know. If you dont have someone to go with who does know, it can be risky. I have seen people eat the wrong ones and they were deathly sick for several days. There are web sites to read up on it but I suggest going with a seasoned hunter the first time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.