1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Showing emotion when you miss?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I noticed that a lot of people show emotion after missing a target. From throwing empty shells on the ground, slamming gun open etc. I try to reframe from doing so. Do you think it helps or hurts your game?

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

Definitely hurts. I try to just let if go, but it's hard to not frown when I miss. This game is just for fun (for me) and I try to keep everything in perspective.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The one I love most is the shooter who misses and then looks at the empty shell in amazement like it was the shells fault.

Eric

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

it's immature...it's not like your livelihood or life depends on that missed clay bird...

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . or the guy who tilts his head and furrows his brow in puzzlement as if he's never missed one before.

Neil

6. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Controlling your emotions while you shoot is part of maintaining your focus. Someone watching you (not your targets) should not be able to tell if you are having a good or bad day. Your form should stay the same for every shot. That being said, I have on occasion lost my form while shooting. It's something I work on every time out.

Rich in Indiana

7. smsnyder

I like the ones who blow the smoke through the barrel after they do hit one. Like that really helps. Lol

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I learned this lesson really quick when my favorite uncle taught me how to shoot pool when I was 7 years old. He told me to never do it again! And I never did,,, right up to when I struck out in Little League and broke my bat on home plate and got thrown out of the game.

That was the final lesson on this matter!

First; it is impolite, and it makes you look stupid.

Second; it shows you have broken concentration, and lets face it concentration is what trap shooting is all about. Concentration is the hardest thing to realign in the game.

Third; if you are in any kind of competetion, it shows your opponents a weakness. Which they WILL exploit!

This last item is is common to many sports, but it is most noticable in Poker. As you all know, they call that a "tell" He who has a tell, usually loses.

We all want to have fun,,, However more fun can be derived by winning.

Giving away the game is not conducive of winning.

Finally: This is the best reason I can think of for loading your own ammo. If you miss then it is obviously because there was no shot in the shell. This is very easy to reconcile.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Randy

9. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

I blow the smoke from by barrel all the time hit or miss! It bugs me to see it drift out of the end of the barrel.

10. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Some people have some --QUIRKS--.I know I have,oh well!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

11. smsnyder

I know one guy who lines up the letters of his shell every time before he can shoot. I once gave him one different shell and he went nuts. lol

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

mostly I scowl and curse under my breath at my own stupidity for not apyin' attention....and then I get on with preparing for the next target...

13. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

I've gotta admit...when I miss I do probably raise an eyebrow as I replay the shot in my mind...then I quickly answer 3 questions #1 What do I think happened #2 What does any evidence suggest happened #3 Was it a mental fault or a technique error. I honestly believe that if you do not know WHY you missed one target, doubt exists when addressing the NEXT target. Then back into my set-up routine and TCB Baby. To each his own. Kind Regards-Graham.

14. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

I have watch some realy childish behavior at the line. Usualy during league shooting. I've seen spendy guns slammed on the ground. Guns I can't afford. I Tell my wife and kids to turn away from these displays and we quietly load up into the truck and go home. Inside I feel a angry! But, It is not just my game but their's too. I no longer belong to that club but to another and haven't seen that behavior there. I hope to never see those kind of disrespectful dispolays again. To put this into perspective, take your favorite gun out, mis a target, then slam the barrel onto the cement near your feet. Not just a litle but realy slam it. Thats what I saw there. I don't want my family treating firarms that way nor do I want that kind of display of emotion around in public in general. Circles of influence: change what you can emediately affect, influenece what you can influece, and protect yourself against influences you can't control which are negative.

15. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Fact: Once focus and concentration are broken the advantage goes to the bird.

I had the Scoutmaster's son from our Boy Scout troop out to practice for a BSA event, and I couldn't help but notice how his "post" shot routine started to improve. I had to gently correct his style, but I should have filmed and posted it.

I later found out he was in theater and displayed an excellent range of emotions - LOL

TNCoach

16. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Guilty as Charged: I always turn the shell in the chamber so the N in REMINGTON is straight up. And it can't be a gazillionth of a inch off center either. This obsessive compulsive habit keeps me from thinking about the next bird, cause my tiny brain can only handle one task at a time. One day we were shooting in the rain and the ground was mud soft. Scores were poor on my squad. A guy I had never seen or shot with before, was so pissed off he took his K-gun and poked the barrel in the ground with such force it stood like a fence post. The dude was HOT as he walked off. Gun stayed like that for several squads till someone took it in the clubhouse.

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Years ago we had a shooter like Falcon described.

If he missed a few targets he tomato staked his SX.

Never caused any trouble but that poor SX took a beating.

Sometimes he threw it in the trash barrel. His buddies made sure no one grabbed it.

It got to be sort of funny but as mlcameron said it is a poor display of emotion.

Regards....Gerald

18. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

When I first started shooting I was my own biggest enemy, constantly critical of my shooting, especially when I missed. I would get mad at myself after missing, mutter to myself under my breath, look to the sky, all those things I'd seen others do too.

A very good friend and a State Champion pulled me aside and very gently told me that I should watch the behaviour of shooters I admired most. He never said, "you're acting like a total ass on the line" but, after watching for a while I realized the lesson--the best shooters stay constant, classy, and deviate little whether they hit or miss. From that day I emulated those I respected most and, hit or miss, stayed steady and constant and I know I'm a much better shooter because of it.

I never said a GREAT shooter, just a BETTER shooter. Clarification required and much more practice needed!

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There's good reason to blow the smoke out of the barrel. That's so the next shot can see where the target is. Seems logical to me.

Eric

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Eric, quote: <i>"The one I love most is the shooter who misses and then looks at the empty shell in amazement like it was the shells fault. "</i>

And then flings the shell to the ground in utter disgust. That'll show it.

Always cracks me up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.