1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Show me your shot maker setup

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by doogiebarnes, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doogiebarnes

doogiebarnes TS Member

I am looking to setup a shotmaker. Anyone with pictures, please post or email me. I am interested in your ideas.

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Don't email just him Show us all your set up. We all would like to see it.

3. doogiebarnes

doogiebarnes TS Member

4. zinger

zinger Member

well, because you asked nicely!

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Zinger looks good. What did you use for coolant, Liquid soap? Did the cold air temps have a negative effect on the operation. I want to build me a setup. I am thinking about using a circulating pump and some type of radiator/fan arrangement to keep the cooland temp under control. Jim

6. zinger

zinger Member

Here is a picture of someone's I took off of another message board. He is using antifreeze with the fan and radiator set up your talking about. We used liquid soap from Sam's club with a little water to thin it out a bit. I don't remember the outside temp when we did this, but we now wait until at least 60 degrees or above to avoid taking so long to heat up the ingots. Also makes washing with the hose easier on the hands when it's not so cold outside..lol

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Thanks. Jim

8. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello Zinger, thanks for posting the pictures. I didn't even know they had home machines for this. I'd like to ask a few more questions, you have my interest here. What is the intitial set cost a this operations? What is the going price of lead? and do you use wheel weight only or is there other leads you use? Is you resource for lead a junk yard and what type of lead do you use? And lastly how much shot could you make in a day? Sorry for all the questions but I'm very interested.
    Thanks,
    Pat

9. zinger

zinger Member

Oh my Pat!...let's see, I'll try to answer in order. The price for a new Littleton Shotmaker is (I believe) $375, but you can do a search here and find the web addy. We don't buy our lead, we used to get it from tire stores, but now we get it from a salvage yard. They've got to remove the wheel weights from the junk cars anyway, so they (our next door neighbor) save them for us. We only use wheel weights. We make the ingots in the winter, and shot in the summer. I think we usually average about 200lbs a day, depending on if the machine and/or operator's are behaving, but we don't start real early, around 9am - 4pm. I know they say the machine is supposed to put out 45lbs an hour, but it don't happen here!..lol It's a lot of work, but we make a party out of it with some of our shooting buddies.

10. zinger

zinger Member

here's the website with all the info

11. Grumpy

Grumpy TS Member

Well Zinger you have sure started something here with this shotmaker it really has me interested.Lead supply(wheel weights)doesn't seem to be a problem in this area .I checked the burgessbullets web site out and found it very helpful, maybe someone on T.S.com might have a shotmaker for sale if l don,t get any info. back l will post a new thread.Do you have any thing negative about the whole operation other than there is a bit of work involved and lead fumes.I have a little welding shop in the back yard and with retirement down the road making shot might be a fun way to pass the time. Reloading is more expensive than buying cheap factory loads around here and cheap factory loads some times are not consistent,--- and nothing gives me greater pleasure than going to a shoot and smoking the targets with my 1oz. reloads. Any info on this subject would be greatly appreaciated. Best Wishes to everone in 2006 Wayne

12. 333t

333t Member

There are quite a few threads on making shot. If you do a search under "Littleton" you will get some info.

Phil

13. doogiebarnes

doogiebarnes TS Member

Just got back into town tonight and saw the great pics. Anyone else have a picture of their setup?

14. doogiebarnes

doogiebarnes TS Member

Just got back into town tonight and saw the great pics. Anyone else have a picture of their setup?

15. marotta

marotta Member

Anyone selling a used one?

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's mine. Finally got around to setting it up. Jim

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. marotta

marotta Member

Jim,

that is one heck of a set up. Is that antifreeze your using and how do you circulate it?

Raffaele

18. molten

molten TS Member

Has anyone had a problem with the black wire going to the calrod burning up?
    I changed the wire to a asbestos coated and it still does it.
    Does anyone know where to get a new one. I called Mr. Littleton and he couldn't remember where he got them.

19. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rafaele, Yes it's Low Tox antifreeze. I circulate it with a submersable pump designed for decorative water falls. It has a valve installed for flow controll plus an over flow pipe to help maintain a constant coolant level. I don't know if antifreeze works any better than liquid soap, But it's a lot easier to wash off the shot. Jim

20. Bobshouse

Bobshouse TS Member

A shot making factory...check out this guy's setup!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

diy lead shot maker

drawings for homemade shotmaker
ebay shot maker

lead shot maker on ebay

lead shot maker plans

lead shot making machine
littleton shot maker for sale
littleton shotmaker trouble shooting