1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Show me a winner with a Browning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I shoot a Browning XT and a BT-99, both new guns this year. A friend I shoot with keeps badgering me to get rid of the "low end" guns and get something good - Kolar, Silver Seitz, etc. I asked him if it would shoot any better and his response was "show me someone who won a major tournament with a Browning". I didn't realize that $$$ spent equals targets broken or tournament championships. Do I need to start saving my money or just resign myself to mediocrity?

2. TjayE

TjayE Member

It is not the gun, it is the person shooting the gun.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yak, It will only make a difference to you "If You Think It Will". My 870 can break just as many targets as any $10,000 gun. In the days of ole, shooters won $10,000 pots with 300 dollar guns, Now the use $10,000 guns to win 300 dollar pots!!! Both of those guns you have will out last you and your son!!! So forgetaboutit and just shoot. Good Luck and Break=em all. Jeff

Oh Yeh I almost forgot, tell your friend you have better looking wood on your front steps, then whats on his gun. LOL.

4. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Lets see someone answer Yakimaman's question and see what Big Dog used a Browning with success !!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

in the days of old, $300 guns were worth $4,890.00 now.

Do the math, you get what you pay for....

buy a used perazzi/beretta/krieghoff/Browning and be happy..

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

An extremely talented shooter from SD uses an XT. I believe he Tied the best shooter in the world for Champion after hundreds of extras in the shootoff.

7. jimsw

jimsw Member

How about Frank Little. He shot a BT 99 old style until he began worrying about what he would do if he had a trigger problem. Switched to a Perazzi with a removable trigger. I have said it many times on this site In a clinic I took with Frank he said, "the best trap gun ever made was the BT99 old style".

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I believe Frank shot that BT-99 until the rib fell off. He sent it back to Browning and on it's return couldn't shoot it anymore. Frank didn't really shoot an old BT-99 but one of the later versions with the larger forend. At least that's the Frank Little I knew and shot with. Of course, Frank also had a K-80 he never shot. This happens to be a memory test for me!!

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

One of the better shooters in Montana shoots a browning. If it fits, it will work for you.

Rick in MT

10. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Yakimaman, these type subjects are not worth posting. Everyone has their own opinions and they all pretty much differ from each other. Thus, you will never get a concensus of opinion regarding your question. Best to make your own determination after shooting for a while.

I initially shot an Ithaca SKB. Everybody said get a Krieghoff. I did. My scores went up, but when I occasionally got beat or tied by a guy shooting an 870, everybody said, "See there; those high-dollar guns don't shoot any better." What the heck..... I like my gun. I have confidence in it. I shoot it.

Good luck. Mike

11. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Fred, you'd use my guns as "door props"? Jesus, I've hear there was a great deal of snobbery and arrogance among trap shooters and that statement puts you right up there buddy. Your last championship was when?

12. Slugo

Slugo Member

Georgia's own Todd Simmons for one!!

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

When the hammer drops and the primer ignites the metal and wood surrounding the shot cup has zero to do with where the pattern is placed. The guns cost also has zero to do with where that pattern is placed. It is the indian and not the gun plain and simple. Thuis has been argued about for years and yet the same guys win after each and every gun switch.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

There are many All Americans that have used Brownings, read about it in the "Ask the All Americans" articles in Trap&Field.

Nora Martian won hundreds of championships with an old Browning broadway. Leo won everything there is to win with an 1100.

Sarge, you have been brainwashed.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The only reason the top shooters shoot the high dollar guns is because of prestige. They could shoot the Brownings just as well if they have been shooting them as long. That is just how this sport works, the longer you shoot, the more likely it is that you are going to move up to the higher value guns. Shot my first 25 with a 1972 BT-99. I bet if I picked up one right now, and shot it, I would come real close to that number today. But, of course I moved up through Beretta mid level guns, to a Krieghoff. Thats just what happens.

16. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I think the gun that fits perfectly, has a smooth trigger, and has the balance that works for you.......regardless of brand......is the right gun. It could be a Browning but probably isn't.

17. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

There was a Jr shooter a few yrs back that shot a Browning and was All American for a number of yrs. If I recall he was from New Mexico and his dad was on the EC or Central Handicap Committee. The kid was good enuf that he was in the Browning adds. Sooner or later his name will come to me.

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yakimaman, if you shoot PITA you probably have heard of Gary Hammonds. Been on the PITA All Star Teams,High State Average Teams, and has a boat load of awards. He shoots a Browning Citori Over and Under for everything.

Ajax

19. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have been shooting nothing but Ljutics for the last couple of years. Yesterday I attempted to shoot a very nice like new Citori. Could not hit my hind end with that gun even if you bent the barrel in a U shape. Gun seemed to balance and swing OK. But damn, those triggers were the worst I can remember+++EVER++++. Got back on my Ljutic and for the first time realized why I like it sooo much.

In my opinion the gun is a large part of the equation. Marc

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Trigger quality my friend, trigger quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

frank little bt99

trap winners with browning a1
what guns did frank little shoot
what type of gun did frank little shoot