1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shouldn't shootoff targets be registered too?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Shouldn

Shouldn't Registered Shoot Off Targets be registered too? There is expense in the shells being used, time, energy.

After all it is a registered event, shootoff is recorded and observed by line judges. This would be in the best interest of both the ATA and participants.

They have the score sheets, that show the event and participants!!!!

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The targets are free. Isn't that enough?

Consider the shells an investment you don't, after all, have to make. Only if you want to win. Same for time and energy. No one is required to shoot off - you can go home, or just stay and watch if you want.

I can see the appeal and if you paid for the targets I think they would be registered. I admit it doesn't affect me much, most of the time. Everything's free when you are spectator, not a participant.

You realize that there is a danger, I hope. If you register handicap shoot-off targets you would have to give punches for 96 and over. Or whatever the system is for 50-target events if you don't go that far.

But I guess if this were the way things had been done when I started I wouldn't see anything odd about it. Just two different ways of doing business, that's all. Either way seems fine to me.

Neil

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

When YOU pay for them they are registered. Scott

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Red Dot 1, if they had been, that would have about doubled your lifetime quota.

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I would think the negative aspect is it just complicates things mainly. I don't think that shoot-off scores are truly tracked all that well after the sheets come back to the table. Winners are determined, and that's it. Sure, it could be done. There isn't really any big benefit from it though.

Shoot-offs also aren't necessarily shot under ATA rules in situations where the contestants agree, handicap punch issues would have to be thought out, probably other issues someone will think of.

I just don't see it as a big deal. I guess it would be an inexpensive way to get targets in for some!

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have seen shoot/offs change to a faster wider target presentation after a couple of rounds when the contestants are still tied.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

What does price have to do with keeping track of targets broken in an ATA event?

I have always felt that the score you broke that got you into a shoot-off is recorded, and so should the shoot-off targets. When you are in the groove, it sure would be equally a nice treat to have these targets made part of your permanent record.

Hell, I'd been happy to pay for them every single time I was in a shoot-off.

WW

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

So if you want shoot off targets to be registered what do you get if you flip a coin? 100 straight shoot off targets?

9. 548

548 Guest

What the hell is a shootoff?

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

A lot of times ties will be decided by carryover, so..........are you gonna' register the carryover round twice?

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Never thought much about that, and don't know for sure, but I kinda have to side with Wiz W. on this one. Wouldn't it at least help in the known ability area for future classification, would not matter whether you won or lost still shows your ability on any given number of tgts? Ross Puls

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Sure, it could be done but is it really worth it? I guess a shootoff would be a separate line on the card? You'd probably have to add a column to show how many you shot at also, think about it. Break 23 to win a miss-and-out shoot-off, you don't want to just write in 23 without tracking "23 out of how many". Just seems to me that conditions and situations are different than a regular event.

I just see it being more of a headache than its worth. Don't kid youself, it would be harder than you assume. Shootoffs aren't always on 25 targets, what would that do to tracking averages, both on shooters cards and in ATA software? Or would miss and out be eliminated?

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

How would you handle HOA and HAA targets????

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

........as far as "known ability for future classification", the results are already recorded in the WIN/TIE column of your average card.

.........eliminate miss and out, carryover, coin toss and 27 yard doubles (all of which I'm witnessed to decide a tie), and you still have the guy that goes home early thus forfeiting. Do you give him a Zero (0), and what do you give the guy that stayed, do you make him shoot alone and register that?

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A lot of you are bringing in irrelevant scenarios.

It would only be for targets actually shot at. Plain and simple!

16. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They should be as they are the toughest targets you will ever shoot.

Probably way too complex but it would be interesting to have a record of your shoot off results. (maybe not)

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I asked someone about that probably 30 years ago, they said they don't get registered, I never asked again ... With todays technology it probably wouldn't be a problem unless its taken over by the United States Gov. or USPS ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

If you don't know what a shootoff is maybe your on the wrong sight???

20. alf174

alf174 Member

I just had a flashback to ten years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.