1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoulder Surgery....DONE!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

for those of you who have been following my adventure, surgery was successful yesterday. torn labrum, 2 big bone spurs and a slightly torn bicep. painful last night but heavy narcotics pulled me thru. on my way now to drs. office for post op and pictures. maybe i should post them? tnx to all for the best wishes. now the important rehab.

blade89

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

Work hard in therapy!

3. blade819

sling for 4 weeks, rehab twice per week for 6-8, shooting in mid may. not bad.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The therapy is the key ... do exactly what the therapist tells you NO MORE AND NO LESS. Take your pain medication 40 minutes before your therapy sessions. I found that Toradol was much more effective for me than the "oxy..." drugs. Good luck. Bill Malcolm

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Toradol? Hope you didn't take too much for too long! It's for short term use only. (5 Days Max) Would you be talking about Tramadol? That's a narcotic derivative that many people do not find effective, but it does work for some. It's noted that many sources have found it has as many drawbacks as the Narcotic drugs do, including the addiction aspects.

Yes, the Physical Terrorist is your "friend"! Do the therapy and be sure to do what they tell you to do at home. Just don't "overdo" it and injure yourself. Follow the restrictions and you should be good to go.

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Torn labrum is the WORST recovery.

Very painful.

Do everything the PT says religiously or you will not heal properly or quickly.

My wife had near identical to what you describe and recovery is a Pelosi!

Wish you well and hope you can shoot this summer.

SW

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Yes, Toradol ... I only had one prescription (no refills) for each shoulder. I can't recall exactly how long I used it, perhaps a week. They always gave me Toradol and Oxycocet as soon as I woke up. I only took the Oxycocet for a day or two, but always used the full Toradol prescription. Bill Malcolm

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Toradol...Rough on the Stomach, Liver, AND Kidneys. I used the injectable, but only for a few days. It's a very potent Nsaid when used for short term acute pain. I'd rather take my chances with the narcotics IF I needed them for more than a few days. When my shoulders were done, I found the nerve blocks helped the most, but only until they wore off. The Surgeon once prescribed Tylenol 4 after one surgery. I handed it back to him and told him I had better stuff already. He obviously never had the shoulder surgery himself.

9. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

They are right on the PT.... I had my shoulder done 3 yrs. ago - bone spurring, bone cyst, partial torn ligaments - rehab twice a week and I was back to new in 6 weeks. My shoulder has NEVER felt better, even when I was young. Now..... it feels almost BIONIC!! Good luck!!

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

blade, gald to hear your surgery went so well. everyone is right that said listen to the therapist, and to coin a pharse "Just do it" pt is the most important thing for your recovery don't rush it but don't say " it hurts to much I'll try it again tomorrow". I've had five surgeries on the same shoulder incluidng a total replacement and a revison of the replacement.I have great range of motion and am pain free because my Pt was awesome.

11. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

For those having shoulder surgery, ask the anesthesiologist if an interscalene block would be appropriate for post-op pain. It's done before you get the general anesthesia.

Chichay

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

good luck and heal fast, I am also in P/therapy rite knee revision 2 days after Christmas, the more it hurts in therapy , the better it will be latter,,,this is my tenth knee surguy, been thru lots off rehab,,,,keep working it Billy

13. blade819

bucky.... i'll be out there about the time the weather breaks. day 3 is better than the first 2. drugs are wonderful!

14. blade819

first rehab today and not too bad. man was it stiff. seems like the pain is dispatting about 10% per day. getting cabin fever though and will go back to work on wed. was told about 6 weeks of rehab then it's up to me on when to shoot. still planning late april or early may.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.