1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Don Stewart, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Stewart

Don Stewart TS Member

My son started shooting trap 2 years ago and has become pretty good (mid to hi 90's )at the grand last year he bought a used beretta 682 combo. soon after he started to have sever pain in right shoulder.has any one else had this problem with this gun? also any suggestions would be apreciated.

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I am not to sure it is all the guns doings. I wish I had the answer. Both of mine hurt so bad I can barely lift them level.

3. wayno

wayno TS Member

time for a visit to mr. dr., i'm afraid. both my shoulders hurt, coninuously. in between cortisone shots, it's simply a question of how you can play through the pain.

mine originates with arthritis; it doesn't play favorites with my guns.

i don't do that well trying to deal with it.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had the same problem goose had but a few years ago I went to an orthopedic doctor. He did an MRI and found arthritis in the shoulder joint. Had it scraped and about a month later had full range again. Bulge.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Some guns do have more felt recoil than others, but there must be an undelying cause in the shoulder joint itself. Finda good orthopedic Dr and visit . I've had to have my shoulder replaced twice part of five surgeries all total to my shoulder. He could lay off shooting for a few weeks to see if thers any improvement.

6. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

If there was no pain with the old gun and pain with the new one , you have a stock fit problem. Have it checked out by a good stock fitter.

BR1

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

If the pain started with the 682, the gun may be at least part of the problem.

Beretta recoil pads are very hard, and the stock on the 682 is made deliberately large and long so it can be cut down during fitting. Very few people cut them down, or bother to be fitted, too long of a stock forces the shoulder joint apart during firing.

Recommended is a recoil reducing stock whenever possible; it will keep the lad's body heathier longer. Regards, GAP

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My left shoulder pain and immobility has dictated that my left arm essentially hang down for the upper arm area and only had movement at the elbow for what normal use I could gently coax it to do. Obviously holding a gun was difficult. I pretty much clutched it at the front of the receiver adjoining the forend wood. I have had this condition for about 10 years. But because I am an experimenter I decided to try "Lat-Pull-Downs" on my Bowflex. I have used that old machine for 15 years, but not that feature. Within a month I noticed that I had significantly more motion in my ability to raise my arm at the shoulder. Now after two months That shoulder is pain free when I shoot, pain free when I sleep on it and have forgotten about it. It does still get noticeably better each week.

I had it MRI twice ove rthe past 10 years. Both times the orthos expected to find rotator cuff damage, but came up screatching their heads and gave me no recommendations. But now, I realize that I had "adhesions" and am stretching those out. I do the exercises 2 to 3 times a week.

A 682 Gold E, pretty much gets you into a semi-heads-up postion. Wheras a strate stock beginner gun often leaves you scrunched over with cheek bone near the front of the comb. It may be that the butt pad needs to be lower or higher. Take a picture of him with his gun mounted and we may be able to see more what is causing his problem.

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Two problems present. If it is the gun, a custom stock or better yet a PFS stock. If it is a physical problem, the root cause must be found and dealt with. A trip to the Dr. is called for.

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Don,

I have no idea if this applies to your son but the shoulder can be stressed when shooting a shotgun like a rifle - with the body rotated so the shoulders are nearly aligned with the direction of the shots. This is often done when smaller shooters shoot guns with stocks that is too long for them.

The above assumes that your son is not mounting his gun too far out, on his shoudler joint.

Rollin

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I never believed that I was recoil sensitive BUT I could not sleep in my right side for too long. When I switched to shooting left handed, the pain in my right shoulder went away and I could sleep in my right side without pain. The point is that repeated impacts such as shooting thousands of rounds takes its toll. If I were a young shooter with a long carreer in front of me, I would install a recoil absorbing device - NOW!

12. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Well, do you reload? I got a rotor cuff problem from yanking on the arm - went hydraulic and it cleared up to never return (that was 8 years ago).

13. thunder

thunder Active Member

I have major shoulder and neck problems for years and wouldn't be shooting if I wasn't using a recoil reducing setup. I tried most of the add-on types (gracoil, clyde-slide type) and now use a Precision Fit Stock, I personally consider it the best recoil reducing stock on the market and easy to make it fit the shooter. Its also inexpensive compared to a custom made stock setup with recoil reducers installed. You can purchase new at $1395.00 or less, used they go for around $900.00 or less. I consider it the best bang for the buck.

If a young shooter gets beat up his career of shooting will be short lived. If you ever need any help on setting it up you can get lots of advise on this web site or you are welcomed to PM me and I will be glad and try and help you.

Andy

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What Rollin said.

I have major problems with my right shoulder right now. It started with the aftermath of tiling my kitchen back splash, then a day later trying to lift my 52" mower deck up while laying on my side.

Basically what happens is the muscles and tendons around your Rotator Cuff hold that joint together, in place. If the tendons are stretched, (Probably in your son's case, from the recoil), or the muscles are weak, which changes the structure around it, the joint is compromised. When you think about it, it is the most free ranging joint in our body.

My shoulder will drop out of joint, just standing still. If I carry anything, I have to use the shoulder muscles also. I can't just let the weight hang. This happens when I sleep on it also. When I lay on my side, the pressure is on the extended arm to push the joint apart.

The fix generally is what MIA, (Jack), says he does. You have to do slight work-outs with it at first to build the strength, and bulk up around the joint. This would include all muscles attached around that joint. This of course should be done after you have gone to the doctor to make sure you have no tears of tendons, or other problems inside the joint. It is painful at first, but it works. I still have some pain a month later, but I at least have full motion back, without the excruciating pain.

My problems started from my baseball pitching days. When I feel pain coming on, from the joint moving, I just do a little weight training, and it usually goes away. It also increases blood flow to the area, which helps heal the situation. I then follow with a ice pack.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shoulder pain in shooters

shoulder pain shooting pain in trap