1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoulder Pain and Muscle Pain?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I tried the DSMO thing, but I was referred to Tractor Supply to get a large bottle of Veterniarian Horse Joint rub.

I have been rubbing it on my Right Side of my neck and shoulder and it has helped with the pain.

Before I did this pain was so bad I was crying in pain and could not turn pages of Phone book, so I went to Hospital Emergency Room at 4:30am was seen by doctor he would not give me a Cortosone Shot as I am on Coumadin Blood Thinner, he ghave me 5-500 Oxycodone and Flexarill which ceased the pain or covered it up.

They made me very drowsy so I cut them in half, and then i went the route of the Horse Liniment.

My uncle used WD-40 spray on his joint pains.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Shoulder-blade pain for me now. Rest, massage, ice, and warm-up exercises for the shoulder prior to shooting has helped immensely and magnesium pills (for muscle relaxation).

3. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Be careful! Visit your doctor, and tell him/her about your shoulder-neck pain. It could be an indicator of a heart problem.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nothing will fix the problem until you let the surgeon fix the problem. Speaking from experience. (4) surgeries on the same arm and then finally fixed. No more pain. Feels better then it has in literally 25 years.

[​IMG]

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

For me and a lot of my 50-something friends, staying active is the cure for a lot of those chronic aches and pains. I know that sounds ridiculous to you now when your hurting, but when it subsides, and it will, get into a regular excercise routine that suits you. It seems like it's as simple as "keep moving and you won't stiffen up". A lot of stretching first and then walking, biking, whatever you like, just work up a sweat. Hope this helps and good luck. Bill

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pain is NOT normal. See your physician to find out what's causing it. Treating pain without knowing its cause is like mopping the water in your basement without knowing where the water is coming from. Chichay

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Had a problem with mine after a fall and a dislocation...if you really want competent help..see a real "sports medicine" Dr and or Therapist...it will save you time and money as they are used to working on folks whose livlihood is being an athlete and getting them back on the field asap and with the best results!

8. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Back in the very early 70s (maybe the very late 60s) folks did use WD-40 as DLS said and some claimed they got relief.

I "heard" the changed their formula in the mid-70s to stop this (though I don't know that it would if they didn't publicize it-and they didn't) because there were many folks using this "treatment" who got infections.

Apparently the stuff did really penetrate into the joints,
    "lubing" them but carried the germs/bacteria on the skin with it and, hence the infections.

I don't know if this is true, but I knew several folks who used the stuff and claimed it was a miracle cure.

Not me, though.

Bob

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My experience is that you will do a lot of stuff until you can't stand it any longer. Human nature. When you get to that point you'll do what becomes necessary.

The shots, physical therapy and all the other stuff they make you do prior to surgery takes time. If you're at the stage where you can't stand it anymore you'd better hurry and get the preliminary hoops over with before Obama Care kicks in completely and they say you're too old to get the surgery. Good luck all.

10. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine has a titanium vertebra in his neck, and still shoots while hunting, but because of lower back damage, he hasn't shot trap in years. He finally got the lower back damage diagnosed, and will have the surgery sometime after hunting season, do 8 months rehab, then look out!

11. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Recently, one of my shooting buddies was complaining of shoulder, neck and arm or elbow pains. I suggested that he go to his doctor to do a test to eliminate Lime Disease and also check for cardio. Well the Lime was not the cause... nor was there any arthritis... however a stress test showed that there were some cardio issues... he recently had stents put in two of his arteries... two of them were quite clogged. He feels great, awake during the entire procedure... will be back shooting soon.

Me? I go to the gym 6 times per week (never on a Sunday)... on the tread mill for 45 mins... lift some small weights many times and use a few machines that help arm and shoulder and chest and back. Then to the hot sauna.... shower and shave and to the range for 100 rounds.

You have to be mindful of the messages your body sends as we get on in age.
    Your trap guns have made a big investment in YOU.
    Treat yourself as such.

12. arend003

arend003 Member

Had severe shoulder pain several years ago .. after the second surgery it has been great. There was a time that I couldn't even reach and pull out a phone cord without doubling over. So yes ee a good doctor and get it fixed before it progresses worse.

13. 19539trap

19539trap Member

I have a degenerative problem. Right now therepy 3 times a week. Have to use a lighter gun.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Go see a good shoulder ortho, get more than one diagnosis I've had five surgeries on the same shoulder including a toatl repalcement that wore out in 12 years. Had it redone same Dr. and the pain has been gone since 5 yrs now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shoulder muscle soreness shooting a shotgun

does tractor supply carried steuart pain formula