1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

should shotgun barrels be floated??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Do you know what you know what you are asking? Unless you have a one piece stock like on a bolt action all shotgun barrels are floating

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

On my Alfermann I don't think the forearm wood touches the barrel anywhere..not dead certain about this but thats the way I remember it.........SMOKIT

4. porky

porky TS Member

If I remember right, Trapboy is able to do a cryogenic freeze on the barrels and he won't charge much.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No such thing as a shotgun with a free floating barrel. HMB

6. porky

porky TS Member

Smokit, you got to get rid of that stuttering mouse

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SMOKIT---You gotta ditch that mouse.

8. SMOKEIT

Sorry guys,I don't know if the problem is the Majic Mouse or the Imac computer.I generally check after a posting and everything looks ok. The next time I check I have multiple entries. Never had this problem when i had a P.C.....SMOKIT

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SMOKIT--I don't know what it is either. I don't want you to get scared and not post. I'm not familar with that Majic Mouse but you may want to try a different one and see if the problem continues. I use a $25 wireless mouse from Wal Mart made by Logitech on my Laptop. Never had any issues like that. Maybe yours has soem settings or something that isn't right.---Matt

10. sub sr.

sub sr. TS Member

if excessive pressure can move the point of impact on a thick barrel then why not on a thinner tube like a shotgun--andif there is any doubt ??? this is a mind game so give yourself the edge--i startd with 80 grit on mine

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with an Alferman. How does the forearm attach to the gun?

Ajax

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Given the type of shooting done with shotguns, I can't imagine there would be any noticeable benefit to having a free floating barrel.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I agree with timb99, the front end of a BT99 forearm presses firmly against the underneath side of the barrel. If it doesn't, the forearm will be loose.

14. SMOKEIT

On my Alfermann the forearm latch housing bottoms out on a shelf on each side of the barrel lug. You can slip a piece of paper thru any area between the forearm wood and the barrel. I think this is a good but little known feature..SMOKIT

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

But you still have contact on the latch from the barrel. I would think it would not be free floating from the action?

Ajax

16. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The end of the forend is effectively part of the latching on most guns. If the bbl is not in contact at that point the forend will feel loose. If that doesn't bother you then go for it. I glas bed the forend tip to about "0" pressure but no movement. But that's just me. I'm sure there are other and easy ways to do it too. I have one old Perazzi that has a sticky back round felt pad in it about 1/32" thick and it fits just fine.

17. SMOKEIT

I think Alfermann has a very good setup--no forearm wood touches the barrel...SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.