1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Should one ever change trap guns ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

In following trap shooting, there is a consistent thread about changing from one trap gun to another and the end result is a step backwards requiring a year or more to get back to where one started from.

Doesn't seem to matter if one was going from a Browning Citori to a Krieghoff K-80 or from a Silver Seitz to a Ljutic or from a Perazzi to a Remington 870.

Any change in guns seems to cause a major step backwards that must be overcome.

Is this true in general or is it that such stories are more likely to get told and stick with the reader than a story that shared an immediate improvement with the new gun ?

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Digging deep for this scintillating one aren't you hammie?! Tom Rhoads

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Change anything, I mean anything, it will take 3-4 months to get use to the modification or change. I have charts going back to 1976 showing scores and changes. Every time I changed something there was a 3-4 months dip in scores until I got use to it. Just my experience.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In 41 years of shooting, I have owned almost every well known brand trap gun. Some seem to shoot good scores easier than others. The reason for this, I have no idea. One thing I do know, if the gun truly fits you and shoots where you look, you should be breaking scores according to what your ability allows. I presently shoot an 870 TB, why? It shoots where I look and I like a pump gun.

To me, if you want a nice expensive gun, buy one. There is something to be said for pride of ownership. Some people will say that the more expensive gun has a better trigger, faster lock time. If your trigger, no matter what brand of gun has no creep, your mind and body will adjust to any normal lock time, fast or slow.

In my opinion, present modern day shooters have guns in their closet or safes that probably shoot better than the gun they are presently shooting. I believe that for some reason, shooters of today have a need to look good and shoot what the All Americans shoot. To be honest I could care less what anyone else shoots. If I could shoot a JC Higgins well I would shoot it. Nothing is more satisfying than beating a guy with a real expensive gun with a work gun pump. It kills most of them.

Should anyone ever change guns? Yes, but most change guns for the wrong reasons, including myself over the years. It just took me 40 years to realize it. When you first change guns you have a honeymoon period. After that, watch out, as the misses pile up in most cases.
    Steve Balistreri

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

There are too many variables in this comparison to generalize. Stock fit, POI, rib height, swing weight and balance and trigger speed all must be considered. For me switching from a Model 12 to a BT-99 was harder than switching from a BT-99 to a Perazzi SBT.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just shoot it before you buy it. If it is user friendly and breaks a lot of birds buy it. HMB

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The ATA should record the serial number of each member's trap gun and not allow a member to participate with any other gun. If a gun is stolen or destryed, proof of same must be shown. If a trap gun is sold to another shooter, the new owner can only shoot the gun in ATA events if he has not shot a different gun previously. The seller may never shoot trap again!

How's that?

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

DELUSIONAL. HMB

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Hammer 1, should you decide to change guns, I would buy one with an adjustable comb and an adjustable rib, then have a VERY good knowledgeable shooter help set you and your gun up, if done correctly, your score will indeed improve, immediately, should they not, it is most likely pointing, visual focus, and gun mount errors that will undermine your efforts. Done correctly it is a short most satisfying journey, done incorrectly, a lot of frustration will be the norm. incinerate em!

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Yes, if you are shooting a semi-auto and you want to switch to an o/u for those of you who don't know how to time in between shots so that you don't annoy everyone by setting off the trap when you open or close the action.

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I did very well with my 1st Beretta trap gun. The stock fit was very close to matching my needs perfectly. I sold it and had a few other shotguns but seemed to not get used to them. My scores were hot or cold, not consistant. I bought another Beretta that fit me just like the 1st one. My scores climbed back up and stayed consistant. Even though some people do not feel the 682 is a premium gun, I feel no need to "upgrade". I see no reason to switch even if I won the lottery tomorrow.

On the other hand, this is still America. (at least for a while) Let everyone buy as they feel fit, even if it makes no sense to me. I shot with a man that would trade top grade guns every 5 or 6 weeks. He would let me try them, and they were really nice. About a year later he died. Turns out he knew he had cancer. I am happy that he got to enjoy some nice guns before he checked out.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

As the saying goes, "Beware of the man that has but 100 guns." ;)

-Gary

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

IMO you shouldn't have to "learn to shoot" a new gun. Once you get whatever adjustable adjustments it has adjusted and the gun tricked out the way you want it, you should shoot it well. You shouldn't have to adjust yourself to IT.

John C. Saubak

14. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Deep down inside, I've always believed that everyone with a high end trap gun has an 870 or Model 12 in the safe that they started off with and arguably can shoot better.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

OK, here we go. This game is 97% mental and 3% physical. I believe if you shoot a gun long enough you will shoot it well. If you learn the 3% (fundamentals), you will shoot any gun well if you shoot it often and long enough. Changing guns and anything on the gun only puts doubts in your mind, which messes with your mind. If your in doubt you are not confident. If you are not confident you are not going to concentrate, like you need to be successful in this game. Bottom line is, buy a gun and shoot 16 yd trap for one year without changing anything. Shoot 100 rounds a week, (4 25's). You will become a consistant shooter, with a very good average. This is where we trapshooters go wrong. Once we hit the wall, with the average, we feel the need to change things, or we feel the need to impress people with a expensive, nice looking gun. My opinion is buy a gun, with as few adjustments on as possible, including fixed chokes, and shoot it until you impress everyone with your scores. Then keep shooting it until you make enough money to buy a new one. You will impress people more with higher scores, than with a expensive nice looking gun. Now, if you can do both, that is really impressive. It is very hard to become really impressive. Jon

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I can change guns with no trouble at all. When I switch I'm right back to breaking 20 within the first few rounds. ;)

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting the same 2 guns for 30 years....

18. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Change as often as you can afford to. Remain always in search of the responsibility for the answer to the question "Why can't I consistently break (x)XX singles / handicap targets?" If you do this, you will likely NEVER answer the question; but you WILL get to shoot a lot of very nice shotguns.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

19. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

One of the best shooters at our local range has had one gun and only one gun - a Browning BT-99 with Full choke - for over thirty years.

20. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What do you call a better shooter because there are also plenty of as good shooters with new guns. It is not all him shooting the same gun for 30 years but mostly it is he has been shooting for 30 years. I Know who you are talking about and I would put myself against him any day and I have only been shooting trap for 2 years and I also have owned several different combo's in that time frame. I will be the first to admit that every time there is a gun change it does take some time to adjust. Every gun change has been a shorter time because of my growing knowledge of the game and how I want my guns set up. When I get 28 more years under my belt I can only imagine the out come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.